2 in 1?

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I'm going to build my own PC soon. I was going to build a PC just for my music (solely to run recording and music editing software) with no internet or unnessary programs at all but I thought of something today...I know it's possible (quite easy, even) to run Linux distros on a PC without doing anything to the windows OS on the puter. What I was wondering is this:

Is it possible to have 2 seperate hard drives in a case, one for Linux and one for the windows? I'm sure this is doable, but I was wondering if it's possible to have the Linux one only for the internet and the windows one only for windows stuff and ACTUALLY have them completely seperate. Windows and the internet usually leads to loads of viruses and spyware and what not so I would want to keep the windows (music) side completely seperate of the Linux (internet) side of the computer. Is it possible to do this?

I'm going to build my own PC soon. I was going to build a PC just for my music (solely to run recording and music editing software) with no internet or unnessary programs at all but I thought of something today...I know it's possible (quite easy, even) to run Linux distros on a PC without doing anything to the windows OS on the puter. What I was wondering is this:

Is it possible to have 2 seperate hard drives in a case, one for Linux and one for the windows? I'm sure this is doable, but I was wondering if it's possible to have the Linux one only for the internet and the windows one only for windows stuff and ACTUALLY have them completely seperate. Windows and the internet usually leads to loads of viruses and spyware and what not so I would want to keep the windows (music) side completely seperate of the Linux (internet) side of the computer. Is it possible to do this?

Yes, very easy to do this. Install windows first, than disable the network adapter in in device manager, than install any linux distro.

Awesome. This will keep the 2 seperate and Windows off the internet? Will I need 2 hard drives?

Oh...and I see you are certified A+ and Network+. I'm thinking about getting certified in something but I dunno what yet. How have these 2 worked out for you? How would you recommend "breaking into" the IT field? I'm a restaurant manager now and I DEFINATELY do NOT want to do this for the rest of my life...

Awesome. This will keep the 2 seperate and Windows off the internet? Will I need 2 hard drives?

You can do it with a single hard drive and just partition it.

Personally I use a pysical hard drive for each OS as it's easier to avoid problems this way :)

Yes, very easy to do this. Install windows first, than disable the network adapter in in device manager, than install any linux distro.

Or disable the network adapter in BIOS. That way neither OS will see it.

that sounds really cool, do u just install one on each hdd then go into bios and choose os boot prioity .

Sounds like a good thing to do :)

I've gone the route of creating a RAID 1 partition with 2 drives so that if one drive fails, I have a mirrored backup of the drive.

Only problem with this is, if one drive goes down because of a virus, the virus will litterally be copied onto the other, ruining the data on both.

Its good in most cases though as long as you do backups every now and again anyway.

Back
Top Bottom