Subwoofer

Juice1

Fully Optimized
OK I was testing my sub, not even that loud, I could feel the walls shake though, but then the sub just started crackling and then shut off. By tapping the cone a little, it comes back.

I have a vid uploading right now...

Weird.

Looks like you need a replacement :( It may be getting stuck somehow or something.

OK I was testing my sub, not even that loud, I could feel the walls shake though, but then the sub just started crackling and then shut off. By tapping the cone a little, it comes back.

I have a vid uploading right now...

Weird.

You overextended the cone, meaning the voice coil hit the magnet. This can often completely destroy the sub.

I have built in limiters on my speakers, making it impossible to do this to them :D

I however did also do this to a pair of 8" full way speakers, and they survived.

Hm so like if I get a new sub, like an MTX Thunder 6000 12", will I be able to pop the standard one out and plug in the new one, and screw it back in?

Wouldn't that come with a new enclosure as well?
Subs won't work as efficently with the wrong box.

Hm so like if I get a new sub, like an MTX Thunder 6000 12", will I be able to pop the standard one out and plug in the new one, and screw it back in?

Yes but the box will be designed for a different sub. Putting a mobile audio sub in a box designed for a home audio sub isnt a great idea. Mobile audio equipment is made for the loudest sound in the possible space, whereas home audio stuff is made for quality :)

That's true Kage. The real secret to a sub is in the enclosure. The box is designed around the speaker to get maximum resonance. The higher end enclosures are ported to allow the max throw of the speaker with out getting caught in the back pressure. But then the sub has to have a speaker that can take the strain with out the coil jumping out of the guide and getting stuck on the front of the magnet.
It appears that Juice's sub will do just that. The end of the coil is coming to rest on the front of the magnet. A real simple way to limit the power to the sub or any speaker for that matter is to take a lesson from Marantz. Inside some of their high end speakers there is a small light bulb wired in series with the input connection. Some of the audio energy is dissipated through the bulb lighting up. I could play the amp at max and not once did I smoke any of the speakers. My Mach3's had the same arrangement.

It appears that Juice's sub will do just that. The end of the coil is coming to rest on the front of the magnet. A real simple way to limit the power to the sub or any speaker for that matter is to take a lesson from Marantz. Inside some of their high end speakers there is a small light bulb wired in series with the input connection. Some of the audio energy is dissipated through the bulb lighting up. I could play the amp at max and not once did I smoke any of the speakers. My Mach3's had the same arrangement.

Yeah in passive speakers this is great. Active limiters are even better though :cool:

Wait so my sub doesnt have a limiter thing? Even my bose 201's have that... I don't understand why a sub wouldnt.

I bought it from PC Richard, it was a floor display, with no warranty, does that mean it's been blasted?

So what kind of sub should I get, I want to keep the enclosure...

Wait so my sub doesnt have a limiter thing? Even my bose 201's have that... I don't understand why a sub wouldnt.

I bought it from PC Richard, it was a floor display, with no warranty, does that mean it's been blasted?

So what kind of sub should I get, I want to keep the enclosure...

Most home audio stuff doesn't. Putting in an active limiter increases price drastically, passive limiter can easily burn out and needs service work to replace.

Back
Top Bottom