AHA! My PCI-E Problem

GraJohnson75

Baseband Member
Yesterday, I posted a thread about not having a PCI-E in my computer (Dell Dimension E310, 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, Intel 910GL Express Chipset, Windows XP Pro). Well, I cracked her open again just to see if I may be wrong about my computer not having a PCI-E slot... and I was. My computer has a PCI-E x1 slot however I am not sure what this means for me. My goal is to run Aero on my computer and because Intel refuses to update the 910GL driver :)mad:) I am stuck searching for an alternative. One option is installing a PCI-E graphics card. However, most of the PCI-E graphics cards that I see on the web look to for x16 slots. Is there a graphics card for x1 slots?

im sure there are graphics cards that fit x1 but none of which would be even remotely close to being able to run aero... if im wrong, somebody enlighten me... i just about got the E310 a couple years ago, but instead got an E510 because of the x16 so i could upgrade later on, you might be forced to keep this computer as a server and get a new one to game with or at least one with x16 pci

Yea that was another option too... just go with a PCI standard card. I was just curious as to whether a PCI x1 would be better than a standard PCI slot but it sounds like it's not.

My only concern with a PCI graphics card is that with my computer there is not much room between the slots and the actually case itself. I could care less if the card were to extend a bit beyond the machine however the card may not even fit through the opening.

Get the FX5500, I have one, It's OK for light gaming, WoW, CS:S, HL2, et cetera.

Yea that was another option too... just go with a PCI standard card. I was just curious as to whether a PCI x1 would be better than a standard PCI slot but it sounds like it's not.

My only concern with a PCI graphics card is that with my computer there is not much room between the slots and the actually case itself. I could care less if the card were to extend a bit beyond the machine however the card may not even fit through the opening.
Don't worry, a PCI video card will fit just fine in your case.

Back
Top Bottom