Subwoofer

for some reason in that picture it looks a lot bigger than 12". More like 15" or even 18".

yeah, looks like a 15" because of how big the box is.

I think juice is actually just a hobbit. Thus explaining the tiny desk making the 12" look ginormous.

:p

It's 40 lb, but It's definitely 12". Anyone who thinks this is 15" or 18" hasn't seen some of the systems in the trunks of some cars :)

And I'm 5'5" and my desk is pretty big, the sub is just really big. It's about the size of my chair yeah :) So if I put wheels on it, my ass would shake, and then the bass would be so high that the thing would roll around the room. I'd have to chain it to the wall :D

well thats mighty big for a speaker :D

so does it only do "beats" or whatever they call it?

ok, ill try to explain it...

sound is waves, hopefully you knew that, the frequency of these waves (how often they go up and down) is measured in KHz Kilohertz and Hz hertz but they can move fast enough to produce the high frequency waves. a higher frequency means the higher pitch the sound is, small little bookshelf speakers like the ones juice has on top cannot move enough air to produce the lower Hz, in my jeep i have an amp hooked up to a 10", the amp only lets 80Hz and below get to the sub, subs cant move fast enough to produce the higher frequencies, then for my small door speakers up front they get 81Hz and above, these small speakers up front cant move as far as needed to produce the lower frequencies thus creating distortion in your sound when you turn it up

bottom of the line is, subwoofers produce low frequencies or bass, and that is all they are good at, bookshelf speakers produce high frequencies and mid-range not many bookshelf speakers can produce low frequencies, so if you want amazing fully rounded sound you need a subwoofer to take care of the low frequencies, if you have never owned a sub and have small bookshelf speakers you have been missing out!

and if that isnt confusing enough :D go to wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

Here's a pic of mine under the desk to show you how big it is :)

DSC00014.jpg

And here's a pic of the whole sub.

DSC00019.jpg

:)

The difference is, look at the stereo speakers on top of my desk and look at the sub

If I were to use the stereo speakers as a sub, they would get distorted at high volumes. The sub plays the bass part only.

Very nice! so what sort of power are we talking? is it ported or sealed?

Well said. As he said, without a sub its hard to get a ful range of sound. Although you may be happy with what your getting, that because you dont have a sub. Without one music just sounds twangy and high pitched. You should really pick one up even if it is just a cheap analog 2.1 system. You will enjoy it much better.

Very nice! so what sort of power are we talking? is it ported or sealed?
Ported, 350 continuous watts, 500 peak watts.

Haven't got the chance to use it to it's full potential yet :(

Probably tomorow morning, I'll be blasting it.

I don't have a sub, but my speakers are able to play down to 40hz no problem, unlike virtually all consumer speakers :)

Back
Top Bottom