New Computer Turns off in Minutes

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
I just bought me a new computer. It's bloody awesome, except I think it's overheating too quickly.

I have a Gigabyte G-Power Pro Cooler (GH-PDU21-MF) on my AMD Athlon64 x2 6400+ - the cooler fan spins at 2120RPM average, and the CPU on IDLE in bios goes up to about 105 degrees celsius.

The computer simply shuts off after a few minutes when I start doing anything special like putting in XP / Vista to install. Currently I am out of ideas other than to increase the cooler's RPM - but I want to see some other options first considering I need to go through a tedious case-opening process to change the rpm (not just opening case, but flipping open the front panel and possibly taking out dvd burner).

Thanks guys
-Rhys

PS: Sorry, I also have another problem, this time with my old computer. My hard-drive doesn't seem to be working, and this is extremely worrying because all my very important work is on there. I took it out of the computer so I could unscrew something for my new system to take it out. Now, I can't screw it back in but I've managed to put it in a place where it won't move around too much. When I put the IDE Cable back in and the power supply, it comes up a disk read/boot error, *press enter*. I think it doesn't detect it - but if I plug in the other plug of the IDE cable, it detects it and then just waits at the screen that shows the list of controllers, and has a flashing pointer.

Don't even turn on the comp, take it back to the store you bought it from immediately. 105 celcius is insane, i've never seen temps that high. It shuts off because of CPU overheat.

About the hard drive, did you try re-plugging it in?

Edit - Did you build the computer? If you did, did you overclock? Don't overclock untill you get the OS installed.

No, I haven't tried 'replugging it in'.
I didn't build the computer, the shop did. I didn't overclock. I did put in an IDE Cable / DVd Burner but that's it.

-Rhys

OK, bring the computer back to the shop, it shouldn't be running that hot.

You sure it's celcius?

This is CPU temperature, not system temperature (Which averages at 35 degrees). But yeah, I think i'm going to have to. GRRR, I've waited ages for the system and their shop is about an hour's drive away. Oh well, all new systems have problems.

-Rhys

Take it back assoon as you can. And don't use it, because it will break then they're gona blame it on you :(

Custom built. I picked all the parts, they ordered them in and put it together.

I am much more worried about the HDD problem, however. My life's work is on that hdd and though I backed up the REAALLY important things, it's still a devistating thing to lose the data. It detects it but does not boot it - doesn't come up an error either. I tried booting an old hard-drive that was just lying around... recently used in the past months. It works but comes up the 'start windows normally, or in safe mode' screen, and restarts no matter what option you pick (some of them flashes a blue screen of death before restarting) - i think that's probably the hard-drive problem though, it at least booted.

-Rhys

Is it possible that there are faulty thermostats? I don't see how the CPU could get so hot with such a mother-friggin huge cooler that's in there. Otherwise the CPU must be faulty or something. This is so sad.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom