Careers in the computer field

To be successful you have to have a drive for what you want to do...

Learning is fun, if an only if, you enjoy what your doing.

Where does your friend live?

By the way, I make a decent amount of money.. ;-)

I have no idea whats wrong then , technology is the worlds largest growing field. There is thousands of jobs around here for , network administrator , IT , web designers that all pay in the 20 + dollar an hour range.

Usually jobs like that want someone who already has years of on-the-job experience. They don't usually make someone with just a college degree and A+ certification a network administrator unless that person has a bunch of years experience on the job.

By the way, where do you live? You said that there's tons of IT jobs there. I'm curious where that is.

I'd say keep welding, It's a field that has fewer and fewer qualified people in it. Maybe do some part-time IT work on the side to get his foot in the door and feel it out abit

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Do you know in what kind of place he might be able to get a part-time job in the IT field?

What he needs to do is to try and keep both jobs. Keep the welding position because it's paying all his bills. In the meantime, look for another job related to IT. Anything, really. Money isn't a concern anymore. Bottom line. He needs experience now. Look for Help Desk, entry level PC support, even computer sales. Those experiences are very valuable in the long run. It also helps to get a Bachelor's degree too.

The IT field is vast and they're always looking to promote someone in the industry. Get your foot in the door somewhere....

To be successful you have to have a drive for what you want to do...

Learning is fun, if an only if, you enjoy what your doing.

Where does your friend live?

By the way, I make a decent amount of money.. ;-)

South suburbs of Chicago. Well actually, right across the border in Indiana, Northwest Indiana that is. But the Illinois border, or the south suburbs of Chicago, is only 2 minutes away. So actually the same thing.

What he needs to do is to try and keep both jobs. Keep the welding position because it's paying all his bills. In the meantime, look for another job related to IT. Anything, really. Money isn't a concern anymore. Bottom line. He needs experience now. Look for Help Desk, entry level PC support, even computer sales. Those experiences are very valuable in the long run. It also helps to get a Bachelor's degree too.

The IT field is vast and they're always looking to promote someone in the industry. Get your foot in the door somewhere....

That sounds like a good plan. Do you have any ideas of where he might be able to get a part-time IT related job?

What do you need for geek squad? Just A+ certification? I want to get A+ soon, there arent many jobs for it around me tho.

You know what? I just thought of something. I know you all gave me your opinions on this topic, but I will also post the link to the job ad itself so you can all see exactly what this job is and be able to give me a more accurate opinion. This is the link to that job ad.....Click Here.

It really depends on which job your friend likes the most. I think that if he likes working with computers more than welding, then he should definitely go for it! From everything that I've heard and read, there is a great demand for employees in the IT field.....a demand that will only grow as we get more and more into the "computer age." I would say to go for that job and get some experience....if not that job then he could always take some college classes maybe work toward a bachelors degree and get a co-op position through the school......that is what my brother did and he now has a high paying government position.

Experience is everything. I don't think that he should worry so much about the money right now. The first job should be more about getting experience than anything else. Money will eventually come. IMO it would be much worse to stay with the "safe" high paying welding job and spend the rest of your life knowing that you never pursued your dreams than to take the "risk" of having a lower paycheck for a few yrs in exchange for having the career that you truly enjoy.:)

Back
Top Bottom