Car Stereo in Computer

ok here is what ive been thinking about for a kick ass case mod for me. i want to take a car stereo and stick it in a 5 1/4" drive bay :D and connect it to a sound card, then make a PCI bracket for speaker hookups :) so what parts do you think i should use? im on a pretty tight budget, and i have the speakers covered, so i need a car stereo(faceplate) that is pretty cheap and a sound card.

i was thinking about this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111001
diamond is a good brand, not as good as creative but its cheaper and it has digital OUT\IN ports which i might need to hook other things up to the system.

my brother bought a stereo for my dad's car(for him to use) right before he got it taken away, im thinking about buying it from my brother, and maybe the speakers that came with it. other than that i have no idea where to start when looking for a faceplate, and im not getting an amp, i like sound quality over just raw power.

so whenever i take my computer to LAN parties i dont have to pack up a heavy receiver. although coming to think about, most car stereos dont have have more than a 2 channel input :(

no I mean why the hell do you want a car stereo in your computer

and can you even get a stereo that will fit in a 5 1/4" bay

no just the unit in the computer, the speakers go on the outside :p, and it would fit with some modding\etc. it would also be a fun project to do.

although, doing research, car stereos suck for home use, they have NO inputs for anything other than AUX in the front :( although im looking into other options and what not, but im tired as hell, 4am here. although the idea as got me so exictied that i want to get something before i go to bed.

ah well you have fun with that...apart from the obvious that i dont think it will fit...personally i would rather click a button to play an mp3 than worry about putting cd's in...which is why i spent weeks ripping my 53Gigs of mp3's onto my hard drive. Just out of curiosity..are you gonna attach a car aerial to your case so you can pick up radio?..that will be a kick arse mod :rolleyes:

i would hook up the stereo to my sound card so my computer's audio would play through it...did you read my post at all or just the title?

also, all i would have to do to pick up the radio is connect the antenna wire to the metal in my case :p

yeah ok...maybe you should have some sleep and rethink it. Actually I should get some sleep too because in the morning I am putting a gear stick and clutch on my monitor. :D

yeah ok...maybe you should have some sleep and rethink it. Actually I should get some sleep too because in the morning I am putting a gear stick and clutch on my monitor. :D

its a good idea expect the fact that no car stereo's have good inputs, thats my only problem, im thinking about trying an amp and putting it somewhere in the case if i can fit it.

Back
Top Bottom