my new build...well my first...

alright i got the thing up and running to the bios...I reconnected and seated everything...all fans in the case are a go and the mobo is a go...i get to the bios screen but my HardDrive cannot be read....it says unable to find boot disk...all that needs to be connected is the ribbon cable to the mobo and the master drive correct? as well as the power supply to the hard drive? thats what i have connected...what could the problem be?

and yes I have already used the auto detect feature on the bios to try and find it...also the harddrive is from my emachines...its a hitachi 160 GB HD...it shouuld work fine with the setup right?

Unless you have formatted the drive it won't be bootable, is it recognised in the bios?

EDIT: OK you posted while I was replying, what drive is it?? IDE SATA? ribbon cable I'm thinking IDE yeah??

If it is that's all good, you now need to set the optical drive to first boot device, insert your os disk and reboot, press any key to boot from cd when prompted, then format and install your os.

Did you check the standoffs in the case?? What do you think was the problem earlier?

umm well see problem is...i don't have a os disk...shit hah umm its IDE i think its ATA not SATA.... i have restore disks...would those work or no? also how do i set optical drive to first boot device? also to as to what te problem was from before.... I think it might have been seated a little wrong...5/9 were screwed in instead of 4/6 also i connected a fan wrong after i reconnected it...once i disconnected the case fan...it turned on fine

On the drive what is the jumper set to? is it set to master?

Restore disks from what?? and they probably won't work.

Optical drive can be set in the bios under the boot tab, device priority or similar.

You really need to use the manual mate to make sure you plug things in the correct place, getting it wrong can blow the board.

alright set first boot device to CDROM right? the HD already has windows on it but I have to format it anyways?
It probably won't boot, it may but I doubt it will run as the m/board drivers will be for the old board. I doubt you'll be able to do a repair install with restore disks and doing a restore won't work either as it will restore to the old pc configuration/drivers

You really need a Windows disk

the jumper is set to master...the restore disks wont work...is there any way to format without the windows disk? probably not I would assume
hmm I accidentally connected the case fan to the system fan connector
I did change the boot order but now i have no windows disk and im screwed

No way to format without the disk I'm afraid unless you have another pc you can put the drive in as a slave and format it that way.

Is the hdd detected in the bios??

Have you got the ribbon cable plugged into ide1 channel on the m/board?

yes it is plugged into ide1 on the mobo just like it says in the manual and no it is not detected in the bios...whichi dont understand

also to connected the cdrom drive....there is a power supply connection and a 40 pin connection...what goes into the 40 pin connection

Back
Top Bottom