Mall Shooting

Gotta agree with some of you folks. Just because you take the Killer's gun away, doesn't mean he wont find an axe or some blunt object. They only use a gun because it's lets them kill at a range.

exactly. And tell me, do you think that this teenager could have killed 8 people with an axe?

maybe 1, 2 max. After that everyone would be running away, or some big guy would just tackle him down / take the axe away from him.

Like you said, guns kill at a range. Which means that running away doesn't do any good, and means that you can't really do anything to this guy if you don't have a gun.

MikeReiner said:
Guns are intended to be there to protect people.
Bullshit. Firearms were designed for killing, not protecting. End of story.
And now if you really feel like you need something to protect yourself, why not get something like a taser? It's just as good, if not better than a handgun for self defence.

MikeReiner said:
If somebody broke into my house, I know exactly where my dad's guns are, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a burglar

don't know about the USA, but at least over we don't shoot everyone. No point in shooting a burglar unless he is trying to harm you/your family. Why kill someone just because he is trying to steal your TV? Or does his life really mean nothing to you?

I didn't feel like reading through all the other posts, but unless there's another person, I'm from Omaha and I still live there.

This was HUGE. It was the most unfortunate and grueling murder situation since the Starkweather murders almost 50 years ago.

My brother is a member of the Omaha Police Department but had the day off. Didn't matter to him, he suited up and went to the assembly to see if they needed help. He called me when he got there and was giving me updates from his buddy who was walking through the store about what they believe was 5 minutes after the killer shot himself and he was describing one of the most disgusting and gut wrenching situations I've ever heard. I was giving updates to a radio station since I was getting them as they were being seen and not something that was "Reported" since I had a pretty good inside source telling me.

But...luckily, at least for myself and my friends and family...we did not lose anyone in the shootings. My heart and best vibes go out to the friends and family of those that did lose loved ones. I couldn't even imagine how much that would pain someone.

how many shootings is that in america now? it only seemed like last year there was another one. dont know about anyone else but in the uk people seem to have this "only in america" feel to it. granted there are shootings else where like canada and the uk but it seems such more common place in america. and as for banning guns that would help to reduce it. not eradicate it but you cannot argue that it would not make it harder for someone to find a gun.

It's just a little frightening that this sort of thing can happen ANYWHERE and at ANY TIME. I mean Omaha has had 2 big ordeals like this in their entire history, mind you only 2 in 50 years. Otherwise, it's a gang shooting here and there from time to time, but not a mass murder like this. Granted this city is only about 800,000+...it just goes to show no matter what city you're in, anything can happen.

To go along (in a way) with what you are saying Fisher is that...I never thought something like this would happen here. Not Nebraska. Not Omaha. I would see something like this is New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, etc...but not here.

ok....i dont know about everyone else, but theres a pattern here. Over 75% of the people who commit these mass shootings have been in the care of the mental health services - which means they obviously showed signs of having mental problems and yet they were still able to just buy a gun? If they wont in case gun control, the least they can do is make sure that people who are known to have mental problems dont get their hands on these guns.

ok....i dont know about everyone else, but theres a pattern here. Over 75% of the people who commit these mass shootings have been in the care of the mental health services - which means they obviously showed signs of having mental problems and yet they were still able to just buy a gun? If they wont in case gun control, the least they can do is make sure that people who are known to have mental problems dont get their hands on these guns.

Well in this situation he didn't purchase the rifle he used, it was stolen from his Step-Father. But I'd say about 50% of the cases like this, those guns could have been purchased by the individual with mental health problems. But, we have to take into account when they purchased the weapon relative to when they were labled as having mental health issues. I'm not defending them, just looking at the other side of the situation is all.

Regardless, someone in that state of mind or being claimed to be in that state of mind...there should be some way to prevent those individuals from purchasing fire arms. However, that will only slow the issue down. Stealing becomes an extremelly viable option to someone in that state of mind or mental health. When they want to get something done, they will go to nearly any length to get it done.

From reading past posts things such as gun laws are obviously a touchy subject...

I agree that guns weren't created to make peace, they can keep peace but its only through fear of being shot. I also agree that if someone ANYWHERE in this modern society of ours wants a gun they can get it. Even if you made it horribly strict to get a gun someone normal will go through the process and realize there is a market selling his weapon to the highest bidder. People aren't perfect and some will do anything for money. Granted, that's just one rather poor scenario I took off the top of my head but there are countless other ways bad guys can get guns.

And just the sheer number of guns out there, it would be impossible to destroy or control them all. So then that defeats the purpose of banning guns when you can't find them all. Granted, I 'm all for stricter gun control but I have mixed feelings on out right bannings. Sadly there are some crazy and disturbed people out there and in a world of 6 Billion, in country's numbering 100s of millions thankfully events such as these tragic shootings are few and far between.

My two cents anyway, I have more I want to say but I'm going to a neighbors to see the new bull he bought:)

From reading past posts things such as gun laws are obviously a touchy subject...

I agree that guns weren't created to make peace, they can keep peace but its only through fear of being shot. I also agree that if someone ANYWHERE in this modern society of ours wants a gun they can get it. Even if you made it horribly strict to get a gun someone normal will go through the process and realize there is a market selling his weapon to the highest bidder. People aren't perfect and some will do anything for money. Granted, that's just one rather poor scenario I took off the top of my head but there are countless other ways bad guys can get guns.

And just the sheer number of guns out there, it would be impossible to destroy or control them all. So then that defeats the purpose of banning guns when you can't find them all. Granted, I 'm all for stricter gun control but I have mixed feelings on out right bannings. Sadly there are some crazy and disturbed people out there and in a world of 6 Billion, in country's numbering 100s of millions thankfully events such as these tragic shootings are few and far between.

My two cents anyway, I have more I want to say but I'm going to a neighbors to see the new bull he bought:)

Yeah with the amount of guns in the US, banning them wouldn't work.

Bullshit. Firearms were designed for killing, not protecting. End of story.
And now if you really feel like you need something to protect yourself, why not get something like a taser? It's just as good, if not better than a handgun for self defence.

don't know about the USA, but at least over we don't shoot everyone. No point in shooting a burglar unless he is trying to harm you/your family. Why kill someone just because he is trying to steal your TV? Or does his life really mean nothing to you?

If somebody was stealing my TV or something, then no, I wouldn't want to kill a thief. I wouldn't feel too bad if he died, but I wouldn't want to do it. If I pointed a gun at him, and he surrendered, I would not shoot him. If he ran away.. maybe I'd shoot him in the legs (though I'm not a great shot..) but if he wasn't here to kill me or anybody else, I would not kill him.

But what if he broke into my house in the middle of the night, and I had no idea what he was up to? I would rather put him down than risk him killing anybody. (This is where a gun with very strong tranquilizers would come in handy.)

Don't get me wrong here. If guns just stopped existing altogether, I think the world would be a better place. Gun laws really should be more strict.
Your absolutely right about a kid with an axe, a few people might die, but all it takes is one person, maybe 1 bigger guy, to really knock his ass out.

But when I live in a world where there are news of people breaking into other people's houses killing others, I want to have a gun, and I want to know how to use it, but never, ever, would I want to use it on another person.

I don't sit here hoping somebody would break in so I could have something to shoot at. I can sit here and say I would not hesitate to kill somebody threatening my life (not the bullshit kind of threatening, like seriously, threatening), but after all is said and done, I honestly don't know how I would react to taking somebody's life.

And yeah, screw what I said. Gun's are here to kill, they have no allies or foes. They only follow the intentions of he who wields them.

Back
Top Bottom