Laptop

martiball10

Beta member
So for christmas i get to pick out a laptop. I get $1,000 to spend. Im debating wether to buy a dell or mac. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that will help me make my decisions? I will be mainly using it for school and possibly some games. Thanks for the help in advance!:)

One other thing... i already own a dell desktop. It works fine for me but ive been noticing how increasingly popular macs are getting and it would be nice to expand my knowledge...

Don't get a dell. I would get an Acer or HP. Personally, I'm not a fan of mac. For what I do (gamming), they just don't work well.

Please don't buy into the mac vs PC commercials either. Most of them are over-exaggerated. Remember, if Macs couldn't get viruses, why is there a mac version of Norton Anti-Virus?

Celegorm is right macs do get viruses. You said that you were going to be using your laptop for school. Do you know what your major is going to be yet? If not that is ok. The reason that I ask is that if it is going to be anything to do with computers like computer science or somthing like that then either will do fine.

Another thing to think about is which platform are you the most comfortable with. You said that you have a Dell desktop, which probably runs on M$ windows (correct me if I am wrong). Mac's now run on Unix which is similar to LInux. If you aren't familiar with a mac then you might want to stick to what you know at leas for a little while. Not that I am trying to push you away from macs or Unix/Linux. But it can sometimes mean big headaches and more frustration than you are looking for.

Just a couple of things to think about. But definitely ask us some question and we will try to guide you in the right direction.

Their's not a single in the wild virus for mac's. Security wise with a mac, you are going to do far, far, far better than any PC.

Currently, if you have a mac you can be damned sure that you will not get a virus currently.

Back
Top Bottom