I'm so STUPID! <<RANT ABOUT COMPUTER>>

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Ok, well... Earlier, I was sitting around messing with my computer. Then I decided I was going to upgrade my GPU drivers. Ok, standard monthly procedure for me. Well, this time it was different. I install the drivers. "ATi Catalyst 7.11 Requires a system reboot." Ok, normal.. So, I reboot...

Computer starts, but no display... I try again... nothing.. I try one more time... nothing.. Right about now, I was thinking "oh, shit, I fried my graphics card"

So, I go and remove my ATi card and see if onboard works. Yep, onboard video works, and I was messing around on it to see what happened. Can't find anything wrong, the ATi drivers appeared to be OK.

So, I pop my card back in.. new problem.. the computer beeps at me... beep. beep. beep. No pauses in the beeps, just 3 of them. So, I pull my card out again.. Same thing, three beeps. And to top that off, the CPU fan is spinning at full RPM and the PSU sounds like its under heavy load. I immediately turn the PC off, and sit for the next few minutes deciding what to try next.

So, I turn to my now 8 year old eMachines PC because I needed help. I looked up the BIOS codes for eMachines PC's. I have a Pheniox BIOS, but the beep code list didnt match up for some reason. Then I search some different terms. This tells me to try clearing the CMOS. I tried that by moving the jumper AND removing the battery... Ok, I feel pretty confident here. Power Up.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

So, now, I am really scared.. This computer is only 6 months old, it shouldnt have blown up on me yet. So, I pop the card out again and clean the gold contacts with alcohol. Put it back in.. three beeps...

I was just about to give up. Then I noticed that one of the clips on one of the RAM slots was popped out more than the ones on the other slot. So, I push on the RAM stick a little.. **SNAP*SNAP**

Well... I turn the PC on... YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS IT LIVES!!!

How the RAM got knocked loose, I have no idea. I probably did it when I was putting the side back on the case.

So, now, I'm sitting here thinking about how stupid that was. I noticed the clip earlier, I just didn't do anything about it for some odd reason.

But, hey, now she runs great. I had to re-sync the clock, but thats about it.

Oh, yeah, another thing, the card did need a little cleaning, the fan was a little dusty, and there were some fingerprints on the contacts.

</RANT>

Well, hey, lets just say that I learn from experience. So, next time something like this happens, the first thing I'm checking is the RAM.

This brings back memories of the time I took apart my PC for the first time. This was about 3 or so years ago with a Compaq that had a Socket A Athlon 1.4 Ghz and 256 MB RAM. I was bored, so I decided to see what the CPU looked like.

First things first, gotta remove the heatsink. There are no handles on the clip, so I had to resort to using needlenose pliers. Having to use a lot of my weight on the motherboard scared me, but I got it off eventually.

After admiring the socket A goodness, I put it all back together. Turned it on, but no display and a red blinking light. I freaked out because I though I broke something. I was even more afraid of my dad getting pissed at me.

After a few hours of thinking and pacing, the RAM was just slightly out of place. Re-seated it and away I went.

Point is, we all make stupid mistakes :D

Hey, true folder.. um.. eMachines PC's dont come with mobo/ bios manuals... because emachines are cheep ass PC's

hey, someone on here couldnt get there SATA HDD to work, though it was drivers. ended up he unplugged the power cable to get somewhere in his case and forgot to plug it back in :p

Back
Top Bottom