About lcd native resolution

so do you guys think it's worth it to get a new lcd monitor now, or should I just get a cheap 17" crt (could probably get one for free) to use untill I get the money to upgrade my computer?

I guess my old monitor couldn't have blown up at a worse time. :D

I'd get a new LCD, simply because I hate CRTs due to the amount of space they take on my desk..

But if your gaming and it seems CRT is the way to go in that case, go for the CRT if you can spare the desk space.

Depends on the quality of the monitor. For example, I have the Dell 2007WFP, and it's probably one of if not the best 20" monitor out there. So it can downscale very well. I play Crysis at 1280x1024 (instead of 1680x1050 native) and you wouldn't even know I had the res turned down. Some monitors can't downscale as well though.

Depends on the quality of the monitor. For example, I have the Dell 2007WFP, and it's probably one of if not the best 20" monitor out there. So it can downscale very well. I play Crysis at 1280x1024 (instead of 1680x1050 native) and you wouldn't even know I had the res turned down. Some monitors can't downscale as well though.

1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution, and 1680x1050 is a 16:10 resolution, doesnt it look stretched?

I figured it out the other day, 1680x1050 is 1.6:1, If I remember correctly. 1280x800 is the same I think, and than there is like 8**x4** for really low I think. And something similar to 1024x768.

personally i cant stand an LCD screen in anything but its native res. i dont know why, but i just cant, if your going to be doing gaming at that res. i would say get a nice flat screen CRT, if you get a nice CRT (granted you have the room) you'll be able to enjoy awesome refresh rates and the lower res. will look good, thats why i dont run LCD i use a 20" flatscreen samsung syncmaster CRT for gaming so i can run the lower res. (1024x768) and still have it look good...

personally i cant stand an LCD screen in anything but its native res. i dont know why, but i just cant, if your going to be doing gaming at that res. i would say get a nice flat screen CRT, if you get a nice CRT (granted you have the room) you'll be able to enjoy awesome refresh rates and the lower res. will look good, thats why i dont run LCD i use a 20" flatscreen samsung syncmaster CRT for gaming so i can run the lower res. (1024x768) and still have it look good...
Or just buy an actually good quality LCD...and don't tell me your Acer is good quality.

People don't realize that there are actually a bunch of different kinds of panels that LCDs use. They see the 20" TN for $200, then the 20" IPS for $350, and they're like oooh I'll save some money and buy the $200 Acer. And then they complain about how much better CRTs are than LCDs :rolleyes:

Or just buy an actually good quality LCD...and don't tell me your Acer is good quality.

People don't realize that there are actually a bunch of different kinds of panels that LCDs use. They see the 20" TN for $200, then the 20" IPS for $350, and they're like oooh I'll save some money and buy the $200 Acer. And then they complain about how much better CRTs are than LCDs :rolleyes:

uh i dont have an acer... :confused:

its just personal preference here, i'd rather have crisp display or crt, personally i really think its all what the individual wants, i was just offering my opinion... not all people can afford a $350 monitor i got mine free, thats the main reason i have it

I find when you use less than native settings on your desktop on an LCD it is odd looking but during games I don't see any difference. Weird I guess.

If you're a graphic designer or an animation artist you'll almost always use a CRT monitor. They're far better at color reproduction then the highest rated LCD monitor.

These professional monitors can run up to $2000 depending on the brand and quality.

Back
Top Bottom