About lcd native resolution

mammikoura

Golden Master
so, we all know that lcd monitors have that one native resolution and we are supposed to use it. But how bad does the picture look if you use a lower resolution?

I'm looking at getting a new monitor but I know that my computer can't handle games at 1680x1050. So if the native resolution is 1680x1050 and I use 1024x768 (or maybe even 800x600) for games how fuzzy will the picture get?

youll have to use widescreen resolutions, like 1440x900 otherewise it might looked scretched (im not sure what it would do). most modern monitors can adjust the picture size for a new resolution pretty easily.

youll have to use widescreen resolutions, like 1440x900 otherewise it might looked scretched (im not sure what it would do). most modern monitors can adjust the picture size for a new resolution pretty easily.

You don't have too.

That particular monitor you're looking at is 16:10, so its way wider then anything out there.

The lower you go, the bigger the picture gets. Not necessarily squished or fuzzy, just more of a BAM in your face big.

in games you wont be able to notice it that badly ,but if u set it as default it will look a little strange

in games, well...in everything, native resolutions that are not widescreen or too small will be stretched and will look bad, depending on hhow you look at it.

Yeah, and its really bad for games like Crysis, that can't run at the native resolution of most LCD monitors without slow down...

I'm running using a CRT at the moment, and much prefer it since I can change the resolution to anything, and it'll still look pretty good.

Still, LCD's have their advantages.

Yeah, but it does kind of take away the point :p

"Yes, I have a 22 inch monitor, but I'm forced to run games at half that size..."

so do you guys think it's worth it to get a new lcd monitor now, or should I just get a cheap 17" crt (could probably get one for free) to use untill I get the money to upgrade my computer?

I guess my old monitor couldn't have blown up at a worse time. :D

Back
Top Bottom