i think i have been ripped off

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
Alright so 2 weeks ago i bought this thing call a GreenDot Mastercard. Just like a prepaid credit card. Simple enough right? We'll i needed it for gift shopping and i put a shit load of money on it. $330.00 to be exact. So i try to activate and it says that im underage so now my mom has to call them. We call them its a god damn recording. WE HAVE CALLED THIS FREAKING THING SO MANY TIMES AND NOT ONCE IS THERE AN OPTION TO TALK TO A REAL PERSON. So anyway, they tell us to send them a fax of my social security number and a bill matching the residency of my account form that i filled out online.

I need this thing refunded or something because there is no way in hell im faxing them my social security number. I've read things online that say that this company is a big rip off market but if they are like people say how come they are still in business.

its a little odd why they don't have people after the recording but i really need to find a way to get my money back. can anyone on here give me some advice on taking this? i sent them an email saying what has happened.

also there is no way to cancel it but they say there is so i don't know. you guys think if i return it back to CVS i can get my money back because that is where i loaded it.

this thing is fucking headache and i need some help on it lol. any help would be really appreciated :)

I would strongly suggest you call up Experian, Equifax, Transunion, etc, Immediately and have them link Fraud Alert to your Social. Anything and everything that uses your Social Security number will throw up a Red Flag and the Agency will contact you further.

If your of age and are looking to build Credit I also would recommend you do a Secured Credit Card through a Bank.

I would strongly suggest you call up Experian, Equifax, Transunion, etc, Immediately and have them link Fraud Alert to your Social. Anything and everything that uses your Social Security number will throw up a Red Flag and the Agency will contact you further.

If your of age and are looking to build Credit I also would recommend you do a Secured Credit Card through a Bank.

I agree, not only do you need to get ahold of those agencies, but you need to call the BBB (better business bureau).

This sounds to me like something an agency or your parents should take care of.

Why wouldn't you just get a credit card or debit card through your bank / credit union?

Why wouldn't you just get a credit card or debit card through your bank / credit union?

because then i have to make a checkings account, i only have a savings at wamu.

and i am going to credit union after this ordeal is taken care of.

and i can't even deactivate my activation number for they queued it for activation upon fax so its like either i send them my ssn over fax (which i wont do) or have my 330 stayed in a non existing account. :(

this is the email that i sent like 10 minutes ago. i doubt i'll get a response but i tryed

Hello, I have purchased your GreenDot Prepaid Mastercard and upon my activation I was told for a parent to activate my card by calling your number. Well we have done this and it then told us to send your company a fax including social security number and a bill including the last name of the matching account trying to be activated. Due to internet hackings and un-trusting instincts I for one do not feel safe in faxing my social security number through a fax. So is there anyway I can deactivate my activation number, taking it out of your database and re-use it by using a parent to sign up for it? Or does this faxing of personal information require their social security number as well to be sent to your company? Or if you were to reimburse my total amount of $330.00? Basically I feel as if I paid $330.00 for a piece of plastic. If your information slip that you insist on your customers on taking before buying your prepaid visa/master cards stated that in return of your activation you must send us <<your company>> a fax of your social security number and bill to prove residency then I wouldn't of even thought of purchasing your product. Please respond with a future email upon receiving this one.

For further information, that is if you wish to remove my activation in the queued my number is ************** the name that has been registered under the card is Greg R. Thomas. I will not send my social security number unless I know the link is safe and secure.

Thank you for your time.

Sounds like a fraud to me. Why would they let you buy it if you are underage and cannot even activate it?

i have no clue but, this probably sound naive but why would a company like CVS sell a fraud committing company's product. i mean both would be in shit up to their necks if its true.

but there are cards that you can buy that need a parent's activation but they are not refundable so i can't buy anything illegal or something like that. which is this card. they wont let me refund it which i have no problem with because i just want this card nightmare over.

Well, I think you should be cautious anyway, do what the others said and contact the proper agencies and let them know whats going on (just in case). Anyway, just have your parents deal with it. Hope it goes well.

I highly recommend getting a credit union card. I have one and have not had a single problem. I have a checking account with a debit card, but also have savings as well. The service has been great and whenever I need something done or have a problem, they're on the ball ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom