In need of HDD install help.

abadseal

Beta member
Hello, I recently purchased a new WD 160 GB ATA150 notebook harddrive for my Presario 2135us laptop. Tried installing it today and installation went smooth except for when I tried to boot up from the original windows xp operating system disk then system restore disks and still nothing happened. Entered the BIOS settings and selected CD-ROM as the first bootable option and still nothing. On top of that the new HDD isn't even found. From reading other posts and articles all day I found out that the system should still try to boot off the operating disks to a certain extent then require the HDD to be found. If anyone has any suggestions or tips please help me out. The only thing I could see or gather that was obvious is the 2 harddrives I compared closely and the connector/adapter pins on the original had a different pattern than the ones on my new drive. This may be an ameateur question but am I supposed to take the connector pins off the old HDD and put it on the new one? If so it looks like they don't easily come off or are made to come off. It fit fine in the old caddy but that's the only thing I can think of is maybe it didn't fully insert into the motherboard???? Also How would this explain the unresponsiveness of the startup disks? I put the original hdd back into my notebook and everything works perfect including the cd-rom and OS disks. I'm at a complete loss??? Any tips would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom