what am i missing?

maroj2481

In Runtime
well my computer repair shop will be opening in a couple weeks. and right now im making a list of what supplies ill need. so far i plan on getting windows xp home and pro operating systems, i have a couple monitors to test the computers on, i plan on getting a computer tool kit, and i have some computer parts. am i missing anything?

YES! i really think you should go for one of these:

POST Diagnostic Card

These are great for general fault finding, what it basically does is plug into a computers spare PCI slot, and reads the codes that the computers BIOS puts out when booting up, called a Power-On Self-Test, and can diagnose problems such as RAM that isnt installed/working or no CPU installed/working and can tell if there is a problem with any of the motherboards on board components.

The codes are displayed on two or four LED displays (depending on the model) and you can find out what the codes mean in a handbook you get with them. They work normally with the most popular BIOS models.

YES! i really think you should go for one of these:

POST Diagnostic Card

These are great for general fault finding, what it basically does is plug into a computers spare PCI slot, and reads the codes that the computers BIOS puts out when booting up, called a Power-On Self-Test, and can diagnose problems such as RAM that isnt installed/working or no CPU installed/working and can tell if there is a problem with any of the motherboards on board components.

The codes are displayed on two or four LED displays (depending on the model) and you can find out what the codes mean in a handbook you get with them. They work normally with the most popular BIOS models.

good find. thanks.

hmmm....this is entirely up to you, but it might be a good idea to get some anti-static bags for any components, so that if you need to replace/upgrade components if the customer wants they can have the old ones, sealed in a bag to protect it.

See some examples here..

Im giving you links to eBay because it tends to have great choice and good prices for things like this :D

Things like older motherboard, older ram (such as DDR) and older processors would also help in case your ever given an old computer to repair.

hmmm....this is entirely up to you, but it might be a good idea to get some anti-static bags for any components, so that if you need to replace/upgrade components if the customer wants they can have the old ones, sealed in a bag to protect it.

See some examples here..

Im giving you links to eBay because it tends to have great choice and good prices for things like this :D

Things like older motherboard, older ram (such as DDR) and older processors would also help in case your ever given an old computer to repair.

already got some anti-static bags. but i may get more. and i also have some older computer parts i took out from my old computer.

I would also Consider a KVM so you can multiple computers with one set of equipment.

You'll also want diagnostic software. My work uses PC-Check (http://www.eurosoft-uk.com/pc_check.htm), finds more faults in hardware than most manufacturer's software. I would reccomend making backup copies of that disk though. You'll be using it alot, and it will get scratched up. Nero does a good job at backing it up.

Back
Top Bottom