Vista Debate

a spin off thread from the one about the macs

@Mike when you said said he doesnt think vista is more productive

Vista uses more ram, which means i can get to things faster because everything i use most often is in the RAM, i can switch apps much faster, specially games, when i minimize a big game (COH for example which eats up ALL my ram) the RAM usage goes down and vista frees up some space in case i want to open up a new app (usually media player). comes in handy sometimes. specially when in CSS (with XP) it was kind of slow minimizing when i was chatting with people on AIM.

I see what your saying. Yeah, that is a good feature vista has, and I see why you like it. But for me, it doesn't carry much value.

There's going to be a hard transition from XP to Vista, just like there was when 98 and 2000 migrated up to XP Home and Pro, respectively.

What's real obvious to me, and probably others is how hard they're trying to add features to make Vista the better choice compared to XP.

GUI is nice and all, but what really gets the work done?

I never wanted to switch to XP. It didn't seem worth it. Basically 2000 with bloat tacked on. But with with the service packs, nlite, and plenty of other updates, XP is really nice and all around rock solid now.

But the amount of bloat in XP compared to 2000 has got nothing on the difference between XP and Vista.. so I'm even moreso reluctant to go to vista than I ever was to XP...

Personally, when it comes to vista, I think it all depends on the person who tries it, and how open minded they are. If you go into vista saying you'll hate it, you'll hate it.

When customer's ask me about vista, I simply tell them it depends on who you ask. I tell them that I love it, and one of my managers hates it (he really does hate it), and that if they are getting all new stuff, they don't need to worry about compatibility and should give it a shot.

Last thing before I finish my 2 cents worth here. If you really are going to love vista, I think you need to know some of the features are there. Until I looked, I never knew that defrag was scheduled and that's something I always wanted in XP.

you can shecdule tasks like defragging, chckdisk, etc. inside of XP, you just have to do it manually.

i guess i like Vista because it takes advantage of my hardware (i spent 600$ on it, i want all i can get). i didnt buy 2GB of ram so only games can use all of it. i dont mind when vista starts using 30-35% of my ram, it just decreases HDD seek times (my HDD's are IDE so there slow).

also all my hardware is compatible so i dont have to worry about not having sound\networking in vista. im just hoping that there are good vista drivers for my D Link wireless card im getting.

I like vista for the most part. I don't like the different versions of it and wish they would simplify that. I also think the RAM usage is a bit high, at least according to the task manager it was. Although it really didn't feel much different so I guess it's using the RAM wisely. I haven't had any hardware issues which is nice, and I think it's nice. I do think there is some unneeded bloat in it such as the sidebar, and AERO although it does look nice. I'm using XP at the moment but have toyed around with going back to vista and dual booting with linux and trying to wean myself from XP.

Back
Top Bottom