1 of 3 Harddrives causing a short in my system. Why?

RAISETOWIN

Solid State Member
A few days ago I went to turn on my computer and nothing happened. I mean nothing. Total Power failure. I take my Power Box and have the voltage checked. It was dead. Easy fix right? Well sort of. I put the power box in and and bamb.. nothing. No Power again. So I have the new one tested. It tested fine. So I gutted the computer all but the memory and cpu and it started. I plugged in my cards one by one and started it each time. Moved to my Hard Drives and the first one that I plugged in was my C: Drive. It worked. The I plugged in my F: ( the one that I store just about everything on ) and capute. Nothing happened. I unplugged the F: drive and still nothing. So I waited about 2 minutes tried again and it started up fine. I repeated this step about 4 times and the exact same thing happened.

Now its fairly obvious that my F: Drive is somehow causing a short in my system. Heres my question:

Why? LOL. Simple question with an infinate amount of possible answers I'm sure.

I really dont want to lose this drive so if you Computer Techs could lend me some knowledge it would be much appreciated.

I've had this happen before for unknown reasons.

Whats the resistance between the 12 and ground, and 5 and ground, and two grounds on your hard drive?

Did you use the same plug (IDE-SATA?? you don't say which) each time you plugged the drive in? It could just be a faulty cable, can you try a different one?

Does this occur when the F: drive is the only drive connected? (Try different plugs/cables here as well)

I had the same problem. The cause for me was, I had 2 hard drives touching eachother, metal to metal. I couldn't fit all my hard drives in there so I made it fit, but 2 were touching and shorting the computer. I moved it away from the other hard drive and I was golden.

Did you use the same plug (IDE-SATA?? you don't say which) each time you plugged the drive in? It could just be a faulty cable, can you try a different one?

Does this occur when the F: drive is the only drive connected? (Try different plugs/cables here as well)

Well the IDE cable connections for two drives. I've switched them up between the C and F drives and also used both connections on the C drive by itself and both work fine when only the C drive is connected.

I'll try a new one to see if the problem may be in the cable but it doesnt seem to be.

Anymore thoughts are welcome.

Can i just suggest that you reset the BIOS, its the most basic step but it solves alot of problems mate.

Hey this might be what I need to look at. Because my drives are like jammed in there. I'm gonna try this.

Back
Top Bottom