PSU Question

Pups25228

In Runtime
I have a 500 Watt PSU but it doesn't have 2 12volt rail,s just 1, will I have to get a new PSU for my 8800GT? I have a 8500GT running on it right now.

I don't think you need dual rails for a 8800 GT, but a 500 Watt won't cut it, I know that much. You need at least a 600 or 700 watt with around 30 amps on the 12V rail. I would, however, recommend you get one with dual rails to take the load off of the PSU..

I might have to recheck my sources. I heard somewhere dual rails weren't required, but highly recommended.

I think that will work. What you need is 26A of total combined current, and with that, you have Quad-12V rails at 18 amps each. That should provide more than enough of what you need and should allow room for more upgrades if needed.

You picked a very nice PSU, btw. I don't know if I would buy it off of Amazon, but OCZ makes AWESOME PSUs.

EDIT- Here it is on newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
It's about 20 dollars more, but for that, you are buying from a much more reliable company.

Back
Top Bottom