Jumper question on my 500gb Seagate 7500rpm 16mb cache

paintballpunk43

Baseband Member
Jumper question on my 500gb Seagate 7500rpm 16mb cache UPDATE! need some more help

Hi I just got my hardrive in and I was wondering if I should leave the plug in on the jumper. Does it not matter at all? The Pc will only have only one drive for the moment. I later plan to add a small raptor drive. If I leave the plug in will it force the drive to transfer data at a rate of1.5gb/s instead of 3 gb/s?
Pics

specs
CASE APEVIA(ASP)X-QPACK2-GD/500
MB ASUS|M2A-VM HDMI AMD 690G AM2
CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400+ 3.2G AM2 2M
VGA XFX 8600GT 256MB R PCI16x
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR DDR2 800
HD 500G 7K 16M SATA2 sata
DVD BURN SAMSUNG sata

Does your board support SATA2? If not then removing the jumper will not increase data transfer rates, on the other hand if your board does support SATA2 then there is no reason to limit your data transfer rate to 1.5GB/s by leaving the jumper there.

Just to add some deffinate proof to take it off, he is a picture from Seagate's website:

cuda_sata_block.gif

I'm assuming your hard drive is a seagate, as I think I see the logo on that drive. If it is not seagate, it may be different. If so, let us know.

celegorm thanks man it is a seagate and the picture is very helpfull
Thanks all for a speady reply I'm sure I will have many more questions in the future I'm just glad ur willing to help

Update: Big Problem!
Installed the drive on my computer and heard it fire up no problem.
Formatted the drive to NTFS not PAL
The drive is only showing up as 127gb and I have no idea why
Please shed some light on how to correct this!
thanks again guys

Back
Top Bottom