Question about a new power supply/video card

Jordizzle

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I have a Gateway Media Center 2004 PC. I have had it for a while, and everything inside is still stock. I have not messed with anything inside it.

I am more of the gaming type, and the 128mb integrated graphics arent workin for me right now.

My friend suggested i get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241066

It looks fairly nice, good card for a good price, but I'm worried that my power supply wouldn't handle it well. I tried to find out what type of power supply I have, but looking inside the computer only really let me know that its max wattage is 300, and I'm not sure if it will cut it.

My friend has also suggested that I get http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817371005
Which also looks nice, but I'm not too sure if it will fit, because it is a Gateway computer, and they may make it not upgradable. I looked inside my PC and I didn't see any easy way to take out my power supply.

Basically what my question is, will my current power supply(with 300W max) do the job with that new video card, and if not, would the power supply that I linked be able to fit inside of my PC?

i don think the gfx will fit inside. and 300w isnt enuff. ur 300w is actually only using less than that cuz its not 100 percent efficient so no.

the antec looks wonderful. it has more wires than it shud and may get a little crowded but it shud fit fine. the antec will power the gfx.

i don think the gfx will fit inside.

What do you mean when you say this? is it too large?

edit: or do you mean that the slots on the motherboard arent correct, because on Everest it says I have

Motherboard Name Intel Cortez D945GCZ (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

What do you mean when you say this? is it too large?

edit: or do you mean that the slots on the motherboard arent correct, because on Everest it says I have

Motherboard Name Intel Cortez D945GCZ (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

He means that more then likely your computer doesnt support PCI-E but you say that it does.. you also have to make sure that it will physicaly fit in the PC .. these cards are giant.. can be longer then your mobo and the harddrive might be in the way.. also you will need like 500watt or more PSU to power everything without worries..

He means that more then likely your computer doesnt support PCI-E but you say that it does.. you also have to make sure that it will physicaly fit in the PC .. these cards are giant.. can be longer then your mobo and the harddrive might be in the way.. also you will need like 500watt or more PSU to power everything without worries..

:D no ia ctually meant that it wouldnt physically fit. companies shud be smart enuff to put in a
pci experess. and
the antec earthwatts will do more than enuff! its more than 80 percent effciient!so thats like more than 300 watts for the whole comp. thats more than enuff!

Back
Top Bottom