Adding Ram

kylendm

Beta member
Hey guys i was wondering. Would adding more Ram to my computer increase the amount of heat it has right now and will it require a bigger Power supply?

Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
Memory: 2048MB RAM

What power supply do you have right now? It would likely be fine... but I don't see much reason to getting more ram. 2 gigs is plenty, espescially with XP.

Well i cant see the amount it is but next to model it says PW-600

I'm a gamer...so yeah and i have an extra gig from my old computer laying here so i thought why not.

Don't do that... you'll put yourself out of dual channel mode. You're only going to lose performance.

dual channel isn't all its hyped up to be. more ram would be better than dual channel, but for xp 2 gigs is the magic number.

COH uses more than 2GB of ram while im in vista (i still use DX9, adding DX10 cuts the FPS in half), and COH was made in 2006, its almost 2008! COH is the only game i have ever seen top out my RAM, it was literally at 100% for a while. not even crysis has been able to do that to me

From experience, I disagree.

More Ram > Dual Channel

COH uses more than 2GB of ram while im in vista (i still use DX9, adding DX10 cuts the FPS in half), and COH was made in 2006, its almost 2008! COH is the only game i have ever seen top out my RAM, it was literally at 100% for a while. not even crysis has been able to do that to me

More Ram > Dual Channel

Again, I disagree.
2 gigs is fine IMO. Your running vista on top of COH, so it just adds up. XP likely would be fine.

More RAM is totally unecessary in this case since he is losing dual channel, as no game uses that much memory when using XP. It may not be a big performance drop, but he won't gain anything with more RAM.

Back
Top Bottom