Building a new rig, need advice.

gmjonnyp

Beta member
I've decided to build a new system around the Core 2 Quad Q6600, I'm not very familiar with Intel based motherboards and I'm looking to find a good solid one. I'm heavy into gaming so take that into account. If you've had a good experience with a particular setup I'd like to hear about it (it's 2 am and I can't remember the word for it, I keep thinking confessional but that's not it.) Thanks in advance for any help.

thats my computer and its a beast
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6800 (8MB L2 Cache,3.2GHz Factory overclocked)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
MEMORY 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'd to 1066MHz-4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 320GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
SECOND HARD DRIVE 160GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 8MB Cache
SOUND CARD Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
GRAPHICS CARD 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
MONITOR 20 inch SP2008WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Don't buy an 8800GTX, they are a waste of money now that the new G92 8800GTS is out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119
This card is identical in performance to the GTX but will consume much less power and will leave your wallet with something actually left in it. With the money you save from the GTX, I strongly recommend 4GB of RAM. New games like Bioshock and Crysis will need more than 2GB to run smoothly. I recently installed another 2GB and Crysis is alot smoother with much less lag. TBH I think Raptors are a complete waste of money. All they do is shave 2 seconds off loading times and they cost a heap of money per GB. Just buy a 7200RPM HDD, that'll do fine. I like the Samsung spinpoint. And an 850W PSU is really not necessary, a 600W will do fine, just make sure it's from a good brand (OCZ, Hiper, PC power and cooling, Corsair etc...)

Back
Top Bottom