Defrag Nightmare

Looby

In Runtime
k computer froze yesterday and wouldn't boot so reformatted and reinstalled windows. no problems with the install. then i check the disk fragmentation (just to clean up install fragments) and BOOM 65% fragmented drive... hmm... k defragment...

view report... 65% fragmented???... i ran windows disk defrag like 20 times last night and then i downloaded a program called IObit SmartDefrag (had best ratings if there is a better program plz feel free to say) and let that run 3-4 times and now its down to 35% fragmented but WTF??? i have never had this happen its usually 1-2 defrags to get drives up and running...

i fixed a friends computer a while ago and when i defraged his drive (which was 82-85% fragmented) it took 2 gos and thats it... can someone help me out? could it be just an error? i have power cycled (if you didnt know thats the technical term now) many times and nothing... windows is fully up to date and activated...

i am using this for audio recording DAW so i need this thing to be quick & stable so any advise would be helpful

PC Specs:
ASUS P4S800D-E
3.2Ghz P4 Prescott
1GB Corsair
200GB HDD (IDE System Drive)
120GB HDD (SATA Storage)
500W PSU
XP Home

Thanks
Looby

hmmm
i defrag once a week
its usually on a weekend
when i check for updates, and run my antivirus, spyware, and adaware
but man that sucks
so heres a bump

Reformat again, this time dont do the "fast" option, iv had that happen a few times when using the "Fast method" can think of what its called atm but it will say under it in () fast blah blah balh

used the "slow" format

i got diskkeeper and it says it formated it but i rebooted and it just was really bad fragmented again...

Have you run any manufacturers diagnostic tools on the drive in question? That amount of consistent fragmentation is not the behaviour of a healthy drive. The drive is quite possibly faulty, what brand is it btw?

Personally I think you have your drives in the wrong configuration, you should have the SATA drive as System Drive

no i have not run manufacturers tools on it... ill try that

WD all the way

i want the sata as the system drive but i have never used it b4 and i cant figure out how to install XP to the sata... i saw something about raid drivers during install but like i said up until this point i have always had only IDE drives so idk how to do the install... if you can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Go to WD and get the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows for your particular drive, give that a run, another possible cause could be a faulty IDE cable.

Installing to SATA is just the same as IDE, to save any "mistakes" disconnect your IDE drive and install Windows as normal.

tried that but no HDD was recognised SATA was the only drive in system i had to buy the IDE cause i couldn't figure out how to install to SATA

In your bios is the SATA drive recognised when the IDE drive is unplugged??

You may only have two or three slots open and need to promote the SATA drive up the list.

yeah sata is recognised shows up no problem

CD
HDD (sata)
FDD

is how it was setup b4 i got the IDE

Back
Top Bottom