safe to unplug ide?

technically its not, but you can hotswap Xbox HDD's and there IDE. i would not do, why would you have to anyway?

oh for xbox's its easy, just fire up your xbox with the case open and wait til your in the dash and unplug the HDD and put it in your computer and boot her up. some tuts say to turn on your computer then use pause break to pause the boot sequence and resume once the HDD is in but i dont know why you would have to have it running.

ask Mike, he says he has done it successfully a couple of times.

I know for a fact you can unplug them while the PC is running. Done it before. Running into probs w/ older systems I would power up the PC and the HDD wouldn't power on until I unplugged the IDE cable... Usually that's when I accidentally plugged the able in the wrong way. I don't know about plugging it back in however. Why would you really need to though? There's not much use to hotswapping IDE drives...

You are not supposed to, but you can hot swap IDE drives fairly easy in XP. The main problem is applying power properly.
Yeah, you can't plug in a power thing to the HDD while the power is on. Tried it before and shorted it out so the PC turned off anyway. Don't think it did any damage though, been awhile since that happened.

There's not much use to hotswapping IDE drives...

its the only way to connect a XBOX HDD to your computer if you messed it up, since Xbox HDD's are locked, you have to use the xbox to unlock them.

Yeah, you can't plug in a power thing to the HDD while the power is on. Tried it before and shorted it out so the PC turned off anyway. Don't think it did any damage though, been awhile since that happened.

Sometimes you can, when I hotswapped drives I powered them from a external hard drive power supply.

Back
Top Bottom