I need help picking out new RAM

twangling_jack

Solid State Member
Alright, so I had gotten a new computer. It's a Compaq Presario SR2175X Desktop PC (All the info on the system is in that link). What I am trying to do is upgrade my RAM. 512Mb just isn't going to cut it for me, especially since it has Windows Vista Home Basic installed. I would like to know what is the most affordable RAM I can get for it? I'm pretty good with computers, but when it comes to the technical aspects, I draw blanks. I am looking to hopefully get 2Gb, but 1Gb will suffice. I just can't spend a whole lot, and was hoping someone would help me out. Hopefully I provided enough info to help.

Thanks!:cool:

EDIT: I was looking around and found THIS. Is this good?

Ddr2

I have reviewed you system requirements and specifications.

I recommend going with an inexpensive DDR2 memory module. One the least expensive, that will definitely satisfy your processing needs, would be the 1GB PC-5300 DDR2 Memory Module offered by MicroCenter.com at a low cost of $29.99 (US dollars).

Here's a link to their page: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0273822

This memory is intended for those on a budget, runs on low voltage (1.8 Volts, reducing power consumption), and is non-ECC.

$30 for a Gig of RAM is a excellent price, and the hardware is moderate in quality.

So it's a good choice? I mean, is there any chance that it wouldn't work? See, the problem that I keep worrying about is that I am going to spend $50 and up on RAM, only to find that for some reason, it won't work on my PC. I mean, I'm liking the price for it, and am really considering it.

EDIT: So should I invest in that 1GB PC-5300 DDR2 Memory Module? Could I buy 2 and insert them both? I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I just don't want to mess something up. I mean, I'm more of a software guy rather than a hardware guy. I know how to install RAM and such.

Wow, thanks! So, can I just pick one out and it'll work for my comp? Or do I have to get a specific brand or what?

Back
Top Bottom