How to Set Up A Wireless Router...?

Shadowtails88

Beta member
Ok, I just got a new computer a few days ago, and I've been trying to set up a wireless router on it. Please know, I'm pretty clueless about setting up networks and these kinds of things, so bear with me. Now, my father's computer has the cable modem and a D-Link DI-524 wireless router set up. I'm trying to set up a network connection on my computer(it runs on Vista), but it's not picking up the card/hardware I put inside it.

I put in the installation disk, but when I typed in the address(http://192.168.0.1), I was unable to connect to the internet, so I wasn't able to proceed with the installation.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, and/or how to get an internet connection on my computer?

Do you see the little Icon next to the clock that looks like two comptuer monitors? right click it, then click connect to a network. Assuming drivers are installed, and the router is configured properly, you should be able to see your wireless network. Click it, then click connect. If you have set a password, it will then prompt you to enter it.

Viola. Your on.

I put in the installation disk, but when I typed in the address(http://192.168.0.1), I was unable to connect to the internet, so I wasn't able to proceed with the installation.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, and/or how to get an internet connection on my computer?

You really don't need the disk to get this up and running. Should work P-N-P. ;)

Are you getting an IP address from the router at least? ipconfig/all post output.

start>run>"cmd">"ipconfig /all"
without the quotes ^ is what 0x0161 is saying.

get into device manager, look for the network card, and update the drivers with the ones off the installation disc. then you should get a wireless icon in the taskbar

then you should get a wireless icon in the taskbar

They are running vista, so unless they use the network managing software that comes with the card, vista's wireless icon is the exact same as it's normal network icon.

I think he might be a lil confused over all this...
So you plugged in your network card into your vista computer right? (if i read this correctly)
soo usually vista has built in drivers for network devices.
Go to Start-->start typing "Device Manager" in the start search feature in vista.

then just look at my pictures and tell us what you see on ur computer. (for the network icon on the bottom right by the clock, you may need to expand the lil arrow to see ALL icons there.

The Network Icon..

The Network Devices in Device Manager

Back
Top Bottom