AMD Might Aquire Ageia

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
According to an article I read, AMD is making talks about purchasing the PhysX Processor makers Ageia. As of now, the purchase is not guaranteed to take place, because nVidia is also in the market for Ageia. As you recall, Intel purchased Havok, another physics processor company. Is this AMD trying to get the upper hand or just showing off because they want what Intel has?

I also just realized, can AMD dish out 100 million dollars or more for for Ageia? I know AMD is a highly reputable company, but I don't think they can get that kind of money if they don't step it up and market their products like Intel does..

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Following-the-Laws-of-PhysX-AMD-Considers-Buying-Ageia-71607.shtml
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/21/amd-tosses-around-the-idea-of-acquiring-ageia/
And an interesting take on this: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/22/amd-will-not-buy-ageia

Hmm... well Ageia hasn't really shown so much in the games industry, unlike Havok. Havok can run off standard CPU's, etc so it is the more likeable of systems.

If AMD did buy Ageia though, it does mean that later CPU's could have a core dedicated to physics which, would be rather good.

On the other hand, it'll put force on Intel which isn't too good, because games could be coded to use Physx more, and so, Intel would be left to dust since its CPU's couldn't be coded to do so.

As it stands now, the support isn't really there, but if AMD does start using it, it could become a problem, for Intel at least, though GPU's are supporting physics too, so... I don't know to be honest.

Theres no doubt, with the right tools, Physx is more powerful than Havok as an engine, but Havok has the advantage of, like I said, working with standard hardware.

they will have to do loads to keep up with intel now, tbh i didnt think intel would ever do aswell as they have done and are doing, i alway thought that amd where the ones for gaming psu's, but iv always gone with intel, theres something about amd that i dont like.

Hmm... I had an AMD 64 platform and loved it.

Thing is, I never used the 64 bit platform part actually in the chip in its life time...

Now I have an Intel.

On the next PC in 5-7 years time, who knows?

graphics cards i have a feeling will soon be gone
to much lag between the interface
soon every thing will be right on the cpu
4 cores = cpu
3cores = gpu
1 core = fpu
thats what i think will happen in the next 10 years

Hmm, that would be pretty neat. A CPU, GPU and PPU all in one. A bit wack, but I think that would be a good invention, it would also be cost effective and super efficient if you can find good ways to program/ manufacture it.

3 cores for a GPU wouldn't be half enough.

Modern cards have 48 shader pipelines (I think?...). Thats effectively, 48 mini CPU's (though of course they don't work in the same way)

They should release Socketed GPU cards, so when you want to upgrade, you could just buy the GPU.

Would this work?
Because they are always changing other factors too, and not just the chip, and RAM within the card

Back
Top Bottom