Dual monitors w/o 2 video cards?

nalbonen4

Beta member
Sorry if this is the wrong place, im new here and still finding my way around.

I was wondering if it is possible to set up dual monitors with out using a dual head/2 video cards. Can i use the VGA port built in to my computer, and add a single port PCI card? I ask because I dont have a computer with 2 built in, but have been able to steal a video card from one of our old scrapped computers. Being only 14 i dont want to go out and buy another video card or a nice dual head one, as i figure the least id be spending is $60 for a decent card.

I tried installing my PCI video card, and now that is the only port that works. When i open the device manager, it says that my built in port cant start. I feel like i should be able to change the boot up order in BIOS, but dont know how, and cant get to my bios menu! can anyone help here?

If it makes a difference im running windows 2000.

I would do some gaming, nothing too intense, but i also do a lot of video work on my own, and with school for our TV studio. I do a ton of work on my computer, and at any given time i have at least my AIM, two or three internet windows, a few word documents, usually excel or powerpoint too. I had a spare monitor layin around, and a video card, so i thought it would be good to set it up.

Ive been looking, and i would either need a card with two VGA ports, or cheap converters, as all my monitor cables are VGA.

if ur doin stuff like that then ur gonna want like a dual core processor or maybe even a quad... (if u dont like lag in between programs)

u could just get a cheap card that still has two outputs...

i would give u a link but newegg is being real slow today (blackfriday)

Im not really worried about the speed or lag, it would just be a lot more efficient for me to have two screens up. example-all of my text books are online, taking notes from them every night gets to be really annoying, flipping through windows to get to the right one. I would love to be able to put my text up on one screen, then type my notes on the other. is there no way to do this without another video card?

Only way is to either have two separate video cards or a single video card that supports two video output. Most video cards today supports two monitors so it's easier to go that route with a simple video card upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom