Can this be done?

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
Hey guys. Okay so I was about to reformat my Vista partition on my computer but I seem to have lost my Vista Ultimate disc. I do, however, have an ISO backup of it, but I don't have any blank DVDs to burn it onto. Is there some way to install Vista onto a hard drive partition while in XP, using the ISO?

/=|

UPDATE: I may have figured it out, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking what I could do is install Vista on a virtual hard drive in Virtual PC with the ISO, and then use R-Drive to make a byte for byte copy of the virtual hard drive's contents (which will be put in an .arc file). Then I could basically apply that .arc file to my old Vista partition on the physical hard drive. Would that work?

Can't you just mount the ISO in VMware or other virtual drive in XP and run it from there??

I would have thought it would just run and install, no images no copying etc

LOL! Sorry, I'm still used to reformatting XP and the XP CD doesn't let you install a fresh copy unless you booted from the CD. Apparently I can install Vista on any partition even while inside XP. I thought I had to boot from the disc.

Thanks for the simple solution lol, though now I feel like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom