Need some advice..

Le 3eme oeil

In Runtime
My friend is giving me an older computer he has had in his basement or something. Im not exactly sure how old it is, but im guessing somewhere between a 1999-2005 model. I dont think he has cleaned his hard drive..

I deciding between cleaning the hard drive (if someone could tell me how that would be great, i dont care about anything on it i just want it all gone) and installing linux because its free (if someone could help tell me how i can get linux burned on a CD or what ever and put on that comp that would be great) and just using it for what ever.

Or i will just take it apart and look around in it to get a good idea about putting computers together because i want to build one some day.

Im also considering taking parts out and buying newer parts and putting them in to maybe increase the proformance, but i dont know if i can even do that.

Anyone have advice/suggestions?
If i posted this in the wrong place please tell me im new.

If you have a windows xp disk, or a linux cd probably has it, but if you put one of those cds in then there will be an option to clear the partition on the hard drive, along with reformat, and a few other installing options that are self explanitory. If you could first get the computer running and download cpu-z a free and really small program that tells you the specs of your computer, post them here and we can help you if you want to try and possibly upgrade it.

ok. Im actually getting the computer from him tomorrow night hopefully so that should help.
Does it have to be the exact disk he used to install his OS to clear its hard drive?
Is there a way to clear his hard drive completely without having to put any disks in, just getting it from him, plugging it in and doing it?

if you want new parts if its like a 1999-2005 model, make sure that the mobo supports the parts. basically, there is no point for that old one if you want to game but it should be ok for internet

just ask your friend to wipe it for you

if there a way to find out what the mobo model is before taking it apart? to see if it is say a socket 775 or what ever else i need to know?

i got to go now but ill be back on tomorrow.

download cpuz and it will tell you what the board is. if it doesnt, open up the computer and look on the underside of the mobo and there may be a sticker with the model. if not, its gonna be hard

can i clear the drive without the use of his OS cd? could i just plug it in then clean the hard drive?

Back
Top Bottom