Computer help section.

Lowndsey

Site Team
Staff member
Has anyone else noticed that more and more often when a new member comes on and posts a lists of parts they have chosen for a new computer...and they simply ask if those parts are compatible and will run together fine, that instead of just answering yes or no or saying what parts isn't compatible or whatever. That a lot of people are just saying those parts are a bit slow or there is a better motherboard then that or whatever. I don't have a problem with suggesting better parts for the same price or anything but most times lately the thread gets totally taken over with building an entirely different list of parts than originally listed which in the end total a hell of a lot more money than originallly posted. Surely if the member wants a list of parts posted up they would ask. Personally i think it puts new members off and this place comes across as being pushy.

edit: After posting i realized maybe this should be moved to the suggestions forum

most people come across saying rather or not that there build they have in mind looks good. so if we see something that could be upgraded for just a little bit of money, or a product that is a total bust, then we will tell them. better for us to tell them what there going to get if they buy that, and what they should buy, then us telling them that it is compatible and they go off and buy it, and have problems because of skeptical parts\brands.

a lot of the times there is nothing wrong with the parts chosen in the original post. and I have seen people telling them to swap it with this mobo or this card cause that is what i use.put yourself in the shoes of a newcomer..not everyone has posted on forums for years like you. they come along and nervously post up a list which they have no doubt spent hours putting together and just want a simple are the parts compatible or not answer. and their build gets ripped apart because some people have their favourite parts. that has got to be offputting for a newbie. Like i said there certainly is times when you need to tell them their part is not suitable or is a bad part. But not everyone who posts is looking for cutting edge run crysis on high settings computers. More often than not the build they post up will do just fine for what they need. Sometimes it is just best to answer the question.

I agree to a degree, it seems that a lot of the time those threads end up with members trying to outdo each other with recommendations and the thread starter gets forgotten to a degree.

What annoys me about those sorts of posts is where all you get is a list of links with no description, I know what a cpu, video card etc is, I don't need to go to bloody newegg 17 times just to find out what the parts are, lol, I don't even bother with those type of posts these days, if I hover over the post and it is a list of links I just move to the next thread.

While links to the actual parts is good a description with the link embedded would be preferable imo

/Rant

I agree to a degree, it seems that a lot of the time those threads end up with members trying to outdo each other with recommendations and the thread starter gets forgotten to a degree.

What annoys me about those sorts of posts is where all you get is a list of links with no description, I know what a cpu, video card etc is, I don't need to go to bloody newegg 17 times just to find out what the parts are, lol, I don't even bother with those type of posts these days, if I hover over the post and it is a list of links I just move to the next thread.

While links to the actual parts is good a description with the link embedded would be preferable imo

/Rant

All good valid points, agree totally.

Back
Top Bottom