CD Drive Laser Pointer

Yeah, they are very powerful... you definietly don't shine it in your eye! I'm guessing for it to light a match and to pop a baloon, it'll have to get pretty hot at its centre.
So, imagine what it'd do to your eye... I can't imagine you'd be seeing for very long.

(10,000 posts :) )

party-smiley-551.gif

go kage, go! lol good job on 10,000 :D

Lol, yeah, I had a friend shine a 5Mw one in my eye the other day. Definitely not as powerful as one from a disk drive, but I saw a green blob for about 10 minutes.

Congrats on 10K posts!
party0038.gif

you would need a class IV laser to light matches and pop baloons. Class IIIa is the $100+ ones you see online, and cd drives have class I usually.

Class IIIb is generally what is used in laser shows.

Well, yeah.. I see your point.. I could get a nice car.. More computer parts.. :)

Ok, anyone know where I can buy a cheap laser pointer? Preferably green and less than 15 bucks. I want to buy two of them and keep one intact for some fun, and take the other one and mod it as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf3M-_RUSCM

I always thought they were the invisible type that were used in CD players, etc...

Not always, have you ever seen those vertical loading cd players where the cover lifts open? try using one of those but without loading a cd, it will try and read from it and you can see the laser which is quite dangerous!

Yep, none over here that I've seen at least allow you to see the laser...

Back
Top Bottom