CD Drive Laser Pointer

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Alright, guys, I'm trying to make a kick ass laser pointer as seen here in this video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/756433/laser_flashlight_hack/

I have everything that was talked about in the video except for the housing and flashlight (which I don't really need at the time.

I got the laser diode out of a 16x DVD burner like the video said to do.

I also have the 2 "AA" batteries to provide the voltage needed.

Now, how come this isn't working? I have followed the videos instructions. I have checked the battery assembly with a multimeter to make sure it is working correctly.

are you sure the laser diode is the visible-laser kind and not ultra-violet or some kind of invisible laser?

A little unsure about that, but I'm sure if that was the case, I would feel a little bit of heat off of it, wouldn't I? I have a few diodes to check this theory on, but I have to go look for one that i dropped.. :(

well i don't think that even the invisible laser kind would have a very high heat output at least not before a few minutes - but seeing how you've checked the batteries already its either an invisible kind of laser or you have the polarities mixed up.

I have tried every different combination of polarities possible, and nothing. You might be right, I have the invisible laser one. Well, I'll look at the assembly in the drive to see if there are any more diodes, I remember seeing 2 or 3 in there. If I could find the one that I dropped, I might have something to work with.

Well, I can't find the one that I dropped, so I'm screwed. This was a pretty fun experiment, I guess. The thing is though, the diode I'm using looks exactly like the one in the video. I guess they are all the same, just the color of the laser is different.

yeah a lot of laser diodes come in the same kind of encasing just different gases and metals making them ... ah well ... on to the next one :D

I always thought they were the invisible type that were used in CD players, etc...

Not always, Kage. Take at the video I posted. Some can be pretty neat. The visible ones are supposed to be able to light matches and pop balloons!

Back
Top Bottom