Start up Error

Jason8284

Daemon Poster
Okay every once in a while when I turn on my computer, I'll get a message for a Crash Dump Physical Memory count down before windows trys to start up. After that the computer restarts itself. I do not know why sometimes it does this. Maybe happens 1/10 times when I turn on the computer. Any ideas or suggestions? Once windows up and everything, It runs fantastic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, strange.

Have you ran any RAM benchmark tests to see if all the RAM passes?

Next time you boot up go into the bios and make sure your ram is running at the correct timings and voltage. Most ram defaults to 1.8V 5,5,5,15 timings then you have to change them to the correct timings.

That would be the first thing I do. Next thing is download memtest86 and create a .iso boot cd or put it on a floppy if you have one. You can find it here.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Its best to pull the sticks because as a test is run its only testing 1 stick at a time. You'll want to run a few passes on each stick. Or set it to run overnight with them all in. If there are any errors you've got a bad stick. In which case your going to have to try them 1 by 1 and find the bad stick so its best to just pull them to begin with.

The error is occuring during the motherboard self tests so something is bad. I'm willing to bet 1 of your sticks crapped out on you. You can also pull the sticks and see if any look burnt out. Heres a pick of a OCZ module I fried a while ago. Should help you see what your looking for. Sorry the pic is kinda low quality. The burnt pins are the two on the lower left side.

Burntpin.jpg

Yeah. Because it happens only once every so often, doesn't mean everythings fine. It could be that the damaged part of the RAM is only being accessed once every so often.

There is an updated program of that RAM tester I found:

http://www.ramprobe.com/

Its newer than Memtest and made by the same people.

I'll try a mem test. That maybe correct. I did used to have a ram overheating issue a while back, but I added some more cooling and got the temps good and put a corsair ddr fan on the ram. So it's a possibility that they could have gotten damage a while back ty

Thank you my ram is the problem. I'm going to buy new ram. I don't
want to buy corsair ram because they rip you off on price, G-Skill okay?

I'm so aggervated I have to do this lol. I would just figure out which 1's are bad and just replace those but I do not want to mix ram, so I'm just going to buy x4 1gb G Skill ddr2 to replace all 4.

Glad you've found it :)

Try running the test with only one in at a time. It won't damage anything, and you won't have to replace all 4. Just buy the 2GB set of the same model.

Yep, works fine on the P35 chipset :)

Well, just let it run through the test once, and if it doesn't come up with errors, let it run maybe once more, since its meant to test all the RAM throughout the run.
Then change sticks.

Back
Top Bottom