Installing Linux

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet as I have not had time to read this entire thread but if I have two hard drives could I install Linux on one and keep windows on the other? If so would it require me to slave my second hard drive and then use the second hard drive as a partition or would I use it as a master along side my original?
Put one as master and one as slave. It's very possible, and very easy to do. Install Linux to the secondary drive, and when your computer boots up you'll get a choice between Windows or Linux.

Suse and Fedora Core are the best for begginers to start they experience with Linux world. Interface simmilar to windows with KDE or Gnome. Very powerful distributions :D

I disagree. I think ubuntu or kubuntu for the fact that it is easier to install apps. With websites like getdeb and add remove programs.

my first linux distro was ubuntu.
its easy to use till you try and go more advanced, then it just confuses me.

i just realised rakedog made this thread. i havent seen him around in aggges

About Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

Straight from the ubuntu site, it's a LINUX-BASED operating system. One might argue linux based means it's derived from linux, but a completely different platform.

So it calls for further investigation. After reading http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56835 you'll see they use linux kernel sources for their kernel. It doesn't matter what windows manager, package manager, installer, boot loader, or file system... it's still linux.

I'm not sure how one gets away with compiling a kernel without gcc. I suppose they could copy one, but it wouldn't be optimized for that box.

I conclude, Ubuntu is linux.

Whoever said Ubuntu is not linux needs to get his facts striaght. Ubuntu is fully linux. It is based off Debian, a LINUX distro. It is run off of a LINUX kernel.

Ubuntu is and isn't Linux. It's Linux, as it runs on a Linux Desktop environement, has debian based programming, but it's also not Linux, as the following:

Many extra programming made to make it install automatically, ease of use for new people, and actually not the stable Linux you've wanted. If you want a true Linux distro, get Gentoo, and tell me how the install went.

Ubuntu is and isn't Linux. It's Linux, as it runs on a Linux Desktop environement, has debian based programming, but it's also not Linux, as the following:

Many extra programming made to make it install automatically, ease of use for new people, and actually not the stable Linux you've wanted. If you want a true Linux distro, get Gentoo, and tell me how the install went.

That is the most obviously false accusation I have seen in a while. There is no bylaw for a linux distros that the install must be complicated in order to be linux. Saying so is simply elitist garbage and is part of the reason users shy away from trying it out.

That said, my main distro is Gentoo, but as I have been using linux in various distributions for the last six years, I feel very comfortable with that level of control at my fingertips.

Ubuntu is very much a linux distro, claiming otherwise would discredit Redhat, SuSe and many others on your credentials. Any OS built on the linux kernel (however compiled) is part of the family.

Installation method is irrelevant. You know you could write a script that installs gentoo with the execution of one command. In fact people do it.

Watching things emerge and compile all day doesn't make you elite. Sorry.

Just because your distro is more difficult to install doesn't mean other distros aren't valid.

More gentoo users trolling making gentoo look bad. That's all it is. It's really typical in IRC. I guess some people think distro choice is a dick measuring contest.

Less troll please

Back
Top Bottom