Weird problem, can't figure it out...

bullzi

Fully Optimized
Hey guys...

I have a very weird problem with one of my computers. A few days ago the plastic heatsink mount on the motherboard broke, so i obviously replaced it with a new one, but ever since the processor has been idling at 77C, i cleaned the processor and heatsink off with rubbing alcohol, and applied my normal amount of my normal heatsink compound... no luck... i've let it sit like that for a couple hours hoping it would burn in, but no luck, any ideas??

i've been using radioshack heatsink compound for years on my computers, never had a problem with it... but now the heatsink isnt even hot when i take it off and the processor burns my finger, whats going on???

thanks
kyle

It sounds like the new mount isn't allowing full contact between the heatsink and CPU. It may be a bit too tall.

Hmmm, I can't even imagine what it could be. After it's cleaned off really good, there were no foreign object (lint, hair, oil from fingers) on the CPU and bottom of the heatsink? The CPU fan is working right? Is the CPU making proper contact with the heatsink? How are you checking the temp? Look in the BIOS under PC health to see what is reads out and compare it to software in Windows. Are they consistent?

Maybe try Arctic Silver 5 if everything else fails.

Well its getting full contact because its spreading the heatsink compound properly via pressure as it should, so thats ok...

there arent any foreign objects, i made sure there was absolutely nothing on the processor or heatsink

the fan is working at full trying to cool it down, and im checkin temps through the bios, i cant get into windows because it overheats before i can get it to boot up...

im picking up some more HS compound to see if a dab more will work, if not, ill have to get arctic silver...

It sounds like the new mount isn't allowing full contact between the heatsink and CPU. It may be a bit too tall.
The only explanation possible given the facts in the op

Well its getting full contact because its spreading the heatsink compound properly via pressure as it should, so thats ok......
If it was OK it wouldn't be overheating, altough the paste may be spread the contact may have a small gap. Is the replacement cooler the correct model, it seems as if the problem lies there.

I'd not be booting it up either until you have reseated the cooler or you're likely to fry it at those temps

What cpu is it btw?? Are you sure the cooler is correctly seated?

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to remove the fan from the heatsink and then reinstall it so that it's blowing away from the heatsink instead of into it?

The only explanation possible given the facts in the op

didnt understand that...

If it was OK it wouldn't be overheating, altough the paste may be spread the contact may have a small gap. Is the replacement cooler the correct model, it seems as if the problem lies there.

I'd not be booting it up either until you have reseated the cooler or you're likely to fry it at those temps

What cpu is it btw?? Are you sure the cooler is correctly seated?

this isnt a replacement cooler, this is the same cooler i had before the plastic mount broke, its the oem cooler, i simply bought a new 939 mount and put it in, cleaned the processor and HS off then mounted it...

the cpu is an athlon 3200+ 939

It still sounds as if the cooler and cpu are not making proper contact, I'm guessing you've reseated it (probably several times if you're like me) so if your methodology is correct then the problem has to lie with the way the bracket is attached to the board, are you sure this is done correctly? It really is one of only a limited number of places this error could be caused by.

Is the replacement mount the same exact one that was broken? My thinking is that they may vary some from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some just simply sit on top of the motherboard while others have a ridge around the bottom of the screw holes that fit into the holes on the motherboard.

The new one may just be holding the HSF low enough to make contact, but not low enough for full pressure.

Back
Top Bottom