Performance gains in Virtual RAM?

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Similar to the other post on here.........This deals mainly with Virtual Memory in Windows. Here's a screenshot of what I currently have configured. Its already set by Windows as far as page filling allocation goes.

Do you really think I can get away with "No Page Filing" at all since I have 3GB of RAM? What do you think? Should I alter the how much to allocate or leave it the way it is? The more I allocate to Windows, the more swap it's using off the hard drive (when needed) right? So I figure on minimizing that and just go with No Page Filing for performance gains since the hard drive is slow:

18419657qf8.jpg

Why did you make the same post twice?
You only need one post about a subject and it'll get answered eventually.

The forum has been having problems. I don't know if it's on my end or not but there were major lag issues consistent throughout the week. I posted the first one and it hanged for a long time. I knew an error was going to occur. So I cleared out and went to Computerforums main page to see if it got posted. It didn't. So I posted it again. Again, it would hang for a just a little bit this time. After awhile, it shows up. It's like my first post was being buffered somewhere in a bottlenecked area. Next thing I know, I had two of them lol. Stupid delay. This forum is notorious for having problems and apparently, it's very error prone. That's more reason for David to revamp this old forum. I don't think I've ever had this much problem with the old theme.

but anyways, back on topic.....

Has anyone attempted this? I've got some intense programs already being used, but I still have tons of RAM available. If 32-bit Windows can support a max of 4GB anyways, wouldn't it be better not to have a swap file in the first place?

ive done it once with 1 gb of ram and the performance gain was AMAZING!
u have 3 gb. do it now! wat can u lose.

So you still have your PC setup without a swap file? It's hard to believe on 1GB though unless if it's a really really old version of Windows.

I'm on my laptop right now so when I get home, I'll try it just for the hell of it.

I hate virtual ram,
its a real pain in my @$$
why doesnt windows set it up so that you can add a 80 GB HDD for all of the programs and the lame @$$ virtual memorie?
then you can have a second one for all of your shit?
or is that just way to smart?
why would they care
about 1/3 of the US is using windows
so why would they fix it now?

there is no need to disable it unless your in URGENT need of disk space. it helps keeps caching times to a minimum.

depends what programs you use. If you use some really heavy stuff.. like 3d modeling etc then I'd leave the settings to their current levels.
But if you only use programs that don't need more than 3gb of ram then turn it off, you should notice the performance improvement.

So as long as there is enough ram for everything there is no need to have paging file. But you can always experiment, turn it off and play the games you usually play etc and see if the ram you have is enough.

Back
Top Bottom