Increase RAM virtually?

lhamil64

In Runtime
On windows VISTA there is something called ReadyBoost apparently that lets you use some of a flash drive as virtual RAM or something? Is there some way of doing something like this with XP but using part of the hard disk?

I have an old Dell that only has 128 megs of RAM and a 30 gig hard drive. I want to dedicate like oh, 500 megs of hard disk space to use as extra RAM. Is this possible? If not it's OK.

On windows VISTA there is something called ReadyBoost apparently that lets you use some of a flash drive as virtual RAM or something? Is there some way of doing something like this with XP but using part of the hard disk?

I have an old Dell that only has 128 megs of RAM and a 30 gig hard drive. I want to dedicate like oh, 500 megs of hard disk space to use as extra RAM. Is this possible? If not it's OK.

Using part of the hard drive as a ram is called a "Page file" and this feature is in XP.

Readyboost is utterly pointless, flash drives only have an advantage over hard drives for seeking out extremely small portions of data, and it's cheaper to buy more ram anyways.

Back
Top Bottom