BSOD and restart on startup

neon615

Baseband Member
Hey guys, well, the problem is that on startup it has the windows XP loading screen, then it gives me a BSOD, that only flashes for a few seconds, it then continues to restart my computer, and do it all over again.

I can not boot into safe mode becuase the same thing happens.

I repeat It flashes for a second and i cannot read the error message because it goes away too quickly!

give us something to work with, what are your system specs? has this just started? have you done anything to the pc? been inside the case? installed anything that would load at start up?

The more info you give the easier it is for us to troubleshoot.

System specs are as follows:
Asus p5vdc-mx MOBO
Intel celeron D 3.06ghz processor
1gb generic ram
nvidia geforce 6200

Yes, this has just started
No, i havent really done anything to the PC, but, i have added another monitor, i have restarted my computer since i installed that monitor though.

And, if anyone can tell me if there is anyway to acess regedit using Ubuntu LiVE cd, please tell, so then MAYBE i will be able to see the stop error message.

[UPDATE]Okay, i managed to get a portion of the error by reading quickly, i think it said something about UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Anyone know what that means?

It means your hdd isn't being recognised, this shouldn't stop you getting to the bios though so go into the bios and see if the drive is recognised and is set to first boot device.

Other than that I'd check all the cables are plugged in properly, try a different cable if necessary.Worst case scenario is a dying hdd.

I did a quick search and came up with this:

Start the recovery console, boot from an installation CD and select R for repair.

Run these commands -
chkdsk c: /r /p
fixmbr
exit (to reboot)

That is it.

and also some saying a corrupt windows file system and advice to do a repair install of Windows if you encounter this error when upgrading to XP (go figure) so I guess that is also something to try if all else fails.

Back
Top Bottom