motherboard question

brandog1

Solid State Member
I have an ausus motherboard and I was wondering if I got a new motherboard that has a pci e slot and is compatible with dual core, will I be able to put my memory in that one, would I be able to put my old pentium 4 3.0 ghz in it until I buy a dual core?

well if your Pentium 4 has little pins sticking out of the bottom of the processor chip, then no since new dual core motherboards use the LGA775 socket, and old Pentium's used the socket 478 but you can check.

and most motherboards now use DDR2 memory, but if you use DDR memory then no you wont be able to use the memory you have, but, if your using DDR2 now then yes you could use the same memory

I accidently dropped my Q6600 chip on my mobo while I was building my new rig, I hope it's all right 'cause it cost almost £700 in total.

oops...seems to be two screen-shots of the mainboard and none of the memory :)

but you wont be able to use a dual-core processor with that board because its using a socket 478:
290px-Socket_478.jpg

and dual cores use the socket LGA775:
Socket775.png

as to the memory, there is very little available about your motherboard model for some reason, anyway, it uses DDR memory, and most if not all new motherboards use DDR2 so IF you do buy a motherboard with DDR2 then no you wouldnt be able to use the old memory.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :)

I accidently dropped my Q6600 chip on my mobo while I was building my new rig, I hope it's all right 'cause it cost almost £700 in total.

And why the hell did you feel the need to post that here, it's off topic

sorry, i was just hoping for a reassuring "don't worry, I did exactly the same thing once and it still worked perfectly fine"

Back
Top Bottom