Apostrophe's coming out as ... and Question Marks as the letter E

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I have a friend whose computer types out two perods instead of an apostrophe (thus, can't comes out as can..t). As well, question marks don't work, and instead she gets an E. What is the problem, and how can she fix it?

Thanks!

she has probably spilled something on the keyboard that as "re wired" it. its very common.

if you want to try to fix it, take of the screws and clean everything in warm soapy water (expect for the circuit board\wires\etc.) although you have clean the plastic film parts, make sure you remember the order there were multiple film layers. then put all the keys back in place (helps if you have another keyboard handy\a keyboard layout website pulled up).

or you could buy another cheapo keyboard.

Is it an E with an accent and ^ becomes the new q mark? because if so, that happens to my keyboard all the time. I'm not sure how it happens, but I'm pretty sure its just putting it into the French settings instead of English. Try restarting the computer and see if that solves it.

Vista has a keyboard in the righthand bottom corner. Your friend clicked that and changed it to french on accident. Change it back to US by clicking on it. I've done that lots.

Back
Top Bottom