Dual-core & XP plus some other issues

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
I've never really understood how dual-core interacts with the operating system... like, from what I've read XP 64-bit edition extends the maximum amount of memory that can be used at once from 4gb to something like 18 exabytes. What has this got to do with a dual-core processor, though? Does a 3.2ghz 64-bit processor work just as fast as a 3.2ghz 32-bit processor if running plain old XP professional?

I am purchasing a new system - this is the hardware so far:
AM2 Athlon64 6400+ + Gigabyte cooler fan
Corsair 2GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM
320GB SATA2 Seagate HDD
Inno3D GF8800GT 512MB

I am planning on splitting my HDD into 2 partitions - one with XP, one with Vista Ultimate. This is so I can do a 'parallel' conversion between operating systems - you know, get used to Vista and wait till it's more compatible with software/hardware before I get rid of XP entirely. Will the hardware I run currently exceed the 4GB 'bandwidth' that 32-bit XP has on memory? I want to get the best out of my system. Another question is, in partitioning the hard-drive, is it possible to have a dual-boot between the operating systems and be able to see the other partition when booting the OS (for instance, running the XP partition and being able to view files in the Vista partition).

Thanks for your help everyone
-Rhys

Ok 1st question

What has this got to do with a dual-core processor, though? Does a 3.2ghz 64-bit processor work just as fast as a 3.2ghz 32-bit processor if running plain old XP professional?
In most cases yes,it will run just as good as 32 Bit,But some Applications may run slower.Also,I have the AMD Athlon 64 + X2,which is a few models down from yours,and im running windows XP 32 bit,so you can run either one.

I am purchasing a new system - this is the hardware so far:
AM2 Athlon64 6400+ + Gigabyte cooler fan
Corsair 2GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM
320GB SATA2 Seagate HDD
Inno3D GF8800GT 512MB
What will you be using this system,if it's just for surfing the net,music,emails and the odd game or 2 you could get a cheaper computer,but for gaming,this pc is just right.

I am planning on splitting my HDD into 2 partitions - one with XP, one with Vista Ultimate. This is so I can do a 'parallel' conversion between operating systems - you know, get used to Vista and wait till it's more compatible with software/hardware before I get rid of XP entirely. Will the hardware I run currently exceed the 4GB 'bandwidth' that 32-bit XP has on memory?
The hardware you run is just right,you have 2gb of ram so youll be alright.

I want to get the best out of my system. Another question is, in partitioning the hard-drive, is it possible to have a dual-boot between the operating systems and be able to see the other partition when booting the OS (for instance, running the XP partition and being able to view files in the Vista partition).
Yes this is entirely possible,thats what im doing now,here is a good guide to help you doing that:

HERE

Hope this helps.

Thanks neodude, that helped quite a bit. So I'm right in saying a 64-bit processor will still run at a 64-bit speed when using a 32-bit processor? What about a 64-bit-enabled application? Will that run at 64-bit speed?

My system is for the lot. Graphic design, game design & playing, email/internet/music/emails, and it's also for recording but I'll be getting separate gear later on for that. This is a system I will want to last for a while. Yes, I have 2GB RAM but the 4gb bandwidth that XP has includes memory from all components - video memory, cache, etc.

As for the partitioning, I can simply split the HDD in 2 with the XP installation and install Vista on the other one, can't I? No need to use all that software.

Thanks again!
-Rhys

Thanks neodude, that helped quite a bit. So I'm right in saying a 64-bit processor will still run at a 64-bit speed when using a 32-bit processor? What about a 64-bit-enabled application? Will that run at 64-bit speed?

I think we are both confused here,or i have read this wrong,32 bit and 64 bit is not the speed,its the range of bits it can process,this will explain.The procesor your getting can run both 32 bit and 64 bit.64 bit applications are very rare aswell.64 bit programs generally run slower than 32 bit programs.

Yes, I have 2GB RAM but the 4gb bandwidth that XP has includes memory from all components - video memory, cache, etc.

Yes dont worry,you will be fine,Look at my setup in my sig,our pc's bssically use the same amount of RAM and ram on our GFX cards.

As for the partitioning, I can simply split the HDD in 2 with the XP installation and install Vista on the other one, can't I? No need to use all that software.

Theoretically Maybe,but i would follow the guide.

If you need me to clarify anything just ask :D,

Hmm. So, is dual-core different to 64-bit? I understand a processor can support 64-bit processing & be dual-core, but are they the same thing?

-Rhys

Yeah,A processor can be both dual core and support 64bit (Like mine,and your one).But they are not the same.

Dual core is different because it means that the processor has 2 cores,so the speed is more consistent,and so you can multitask better (Like running more that 1 program at a time).

32 bit and 64 bit is the amount of bits your proceccor can represent.it gets really technical when coming to 32 bit and 64 bit but to put it simply. 32 bit is best for the averarage use,64 bit is for more advanced programs and uses.But The Processor you have chose will be perfect for everyday use.

Thanks, that has cleared it up quite a bit.
I'm not an everyday user, btw :) but I found this AMD Athlon and it seems to be the top product AMD has to offer atm.

-Rhys

I'm a programmer, web/graphic designer (so using a lot of Photoshop), and will be happily gaming fairly often too. Plus the basics like browsing and internet etc. Don't forget a whole lot of music. Probably not videos though.. not many.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom