Sell your vote?

Half Evil

Golden Master
Two-thirds say they'll do it for a year's tuition. And for a few, even an iPod touch will do.

That's what NYU students said they'd take in exchange for their right to vote in the next presidential election, a recent survey by an NYU journalism class found.

Only 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an iPod touch.

But 66 percent said they'd forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU. And half said they'd give up the right to vote forever for $1 million.

But they also overwhelmingly lauded the importance of voting.

Ninety percent of the students who said they'd give up their vote for the money also said they consider voting "very important" or "somewhat important"; only 10 percent said it was "not important."

Also, 70.5 percent said they believe that one vote can make a difference — including 70 percent of the students who said they'd give up their vote for free tuition.

The class — "Foundations of Journalism," taught by journalism department chairwoman Brooke Kroeger — polled more than 3,000 undergraduates between Oct. 24 and 26 to assess student attitudes toward voting.

"The part that I find amazing is that so many folks think one vote can make a difference," Sociology Department Chairman Dalton Conley said. He added, "If we take them at their word, then perhaps they really think votes matter, and that's why someone might pay a year's tuition to buy theirs."

Sixty percent of the students who said they'd give up their vote for tuition also described their families' income as upper-middle or high.

Their reasons for giving up their votes varied.

"At the moment, no candidate who truly represents my political beliefs has a chance of winning a presidential election," one male junior studying film and television at the Tisch School of the Arts wrote on the survey.

"It is very easy to convince myself that my vote is not essential," wrote a female CAS sophomore. "After all, I'm from New York, which will always be a blue state."

Other students wrote that they were disgusted by the thought.

"I would be reversing history — a lot of people fought so that every citizen could be enfranchised," said a female in her second year at the Stern School of Business.

One CAS junior went even further, writing that "anyone who'd sell his lifelong right to vote should be deported."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html

Wow, thats.. interesting.

Would you?

Although I gotta say, some of their posts are funny (I stole this off another site)....

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3642694#post3642694

Check out some of the posts, one person in particular, i find pretty funny

Fuck that. I'd probably sell my vote for an iPod Touch. Anyone with lots of money want me to vote for someone in particular? I'm taking offers via pm.

Or maybe because knowing that almost every person gets a vote, the market value of a vote available for purchase would be relatively low. So if someone were to offer me $400+ for my vote, I would recognize this as a very smart economical decision and take it.

for a million pounds iu would do alot of things and certainly would sell my right to vote as long as it wasnt to no fascist dictator. for an ipod wanger, no way. altho when voting these days there maybe different parties but i cant help but think they are all heading down the same road that will end up at the same place. so is there any point in voting if thats the case?

what does it matter anyway, all the wrong people end up in power no matter who people vote for :)

I will never use the right, so yeah, why not?
I don't follow politics, to know whos good and whos not, so in voting, I could choose a bad decision over a good one.

There are many good people out there that will choose the right candidate, and since they will of course get enough votes, will win as a result.

I will never use the right, so yeah, why not?
I don't follow politics, to know whos good and whos not, so in voting, I could choose a bad decision over a good one.

There are many good people out there that will choose the right candidate, and since they will of course get enough votes, will win as a result.
I hope you realize that people like you could very easily be the downfall of the U.S. There are a TON of people out there like who you just don't care, and therefore, either don't vote, or don't make an educated decision. And then when crappy leaders get elected...
(also, ever notice that a lot of the time the people who don't vote or don't follow the elections are the ones complaining for example about how crappy Bush is?)

Do to you know how many people DIED for YOUR right to vote? And you're just throwing that away. :rolleyes:

for an ipod? no zune? maybe, depends if I hated both candidates. full ride? Hell yea, thats $100,000 less I need in scholarships.

Back
Top Bottom