Accessing Partitioned Drive

Ron6519

Solid State Member
When the new drive was installed it was partitioned. C drive @18 GB and D drive @ 56 GB. How do I get the computer to recognize the D drive? When I went to defrag it says there's only 9% of free space(in C drive) and it needs 15% to work properly. That's the short term issue but I would like to get the computer to recognize D in general.
In the "Windows XP professional" it mentions deleting the partition and renaming the drive. I'm not fascile enough to know if this is what I need to do.
Thanks.
Ron

I went into the Disc Management section and found:
Both drives have NTFS tags on them The D drive has a "healthy" tag and the C drive has a "healthy" (system) tag. Under the "type" heading, both say "Basic".
In other words, I don't know if it was formatted. Are there any hints in the above section? If not, where could I go in the computer to find out?
Ron

well if it what you say that both drives have a NTFS tag on them then that means both of them were formatted via the NTFS way. now when you made the partitions do you know if you made them as primary, then there is extended and logical

EDIT:
here is a link that talks about those types of partitions a little better
http://ahuka.com/other/partition.html

This drive was changed in by a local company. At the same time the operating system was changed from Windows ME to XP.
Any way to go into the bowels and see what labels are there?
Ron

lets try this, go to my computer and right click on the C: drive, and then go down to properties, then go to hardware tab, and tell me all what you see or all the disk drives names and their type

Ok, in disk managment on your D drive, what color was the bar? Black, blue, or something else?

If it is black, it is unformatted. Just right-click that partition and click format. After that, the rest of windows will be able to see the drive.

lets try this, go to my computer and right click on the C: drive, and then go down to properties, then go to hardware tab, and tell me all what you see or all the disk drives names and their type

Drive listing:
WDC WD800J3-OOJJAO Disk Drive
Canon MP500 Storage USB Device Disk Drive
Floppy Disc Drive Floppy Drive
DVDRW IDE1004 DVD/CD-R

Ron

Celegorm said: "Ok, in disk managment on your D drive, what color was the bar? Black, blue, or something else?"
The D drive color is blue and is listed as the, "Logical Drive." From the previous poster, I thought that the NTFS label meant it had been formatted.
The C drive is listed as the "primary position"
Ron

so the D: drive shows as blue in disk management, i thought it was just not seeing it at all, oops, misunderstood, now, if you go to my computer under the hard disk drives spot, do you only see the C: drive or is there another letter driver there

Back
Top Bottom