Girlfriends build

Ok found it on tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2912696&CatId=2328

I hate not being able to use newegg :tear:

Ok, so is that everything? ill edit my OP, and then we have the case and disk drives to work with, so I think were all set, right? Or do I need to buy thermal paste and or heat sink for the processor.

Here is another question too.. Should I get two gigs of that memory, or should I step it up to 800mhz and only get a gig of higher quality? I was thinking the 2gb of 667mhz because she doesnt really use any high end apps other then photoshop (meaning no games, lol)

Man, after seeing your thread it made me want to upgrade mine. I spend $200 already on parts: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo (OEM), stock cooler and thermal grease, plus 2 GB more G. Skill DR400 RAM. I didn't want to go too overboard with my upgrade, but the CPU is like $55!!!

Anyways, you don't need any thermal pads or grease. The retail box already comes with thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink. It has very detailed instructions on setting it up. Huge poster.

Definitely get as much RAM as you can (even if they are slower, but preferably faster too). I say 1GB minimum, but 2GB is probably a better choice these days. You'll never know what she's going to be using it for. I'm putting in 3GB for my system but still result in dual channel because of the config (2 x512MB & 2 x1GB). As long as you install RAM in pairs, you'll get dual channel setup.

You can use your existing CD burners if you wish and your old case as well. If you do want to get a new case, that's going to cost you some money. If your old case fits, maybe you can just gut it out and reuse it. Otherwise, you can always get something like this:

Rosewill R5717-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case withTool-Free kits - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147056

You will need to buy an 80mm case fan too.

it will come with one in the box

this applies for both intel and AMD,

if its retail, it comes with a cooler\instructions\maybe a driver disk\case stickers\etc.

if its OEM, then its CPU ONLY, nothing else(bought mine OEM and it was just a clear plastic box with some stiff foam in it with the cpu in there)

If you get the retail version of the CPU, you don't have to worry abuot the heatsink and fan. They come inside the package along with the CPU. That Rosewill case I linked looks pretty damn good for the price though. I wouldn't mind getting it myself.

I got to thinking more because I can't seem to enjoy my favorite games anymore. Initially, I never planned on upgrading this machine I have now because of how much it cost to upgrade. Socket 939 is done with and the X2 Toledo is the best I can do. Only $55 so it's not bad. RAM killed my though.

it will come with one in the box

this applies for both intel and AMD,

if its retail, it comes with a cooler\instructions\maybe a driver disk\case stickers\etc.

if its OEM, then its CPU ONLY, nothing else(bought mine OEM and it was just a clear plastic box with some stiff foam in it with the cpu in there)

oh, ok thanks I get it

If you get the retail version of the CPU, you don't have to worry abuot the heatsink and fan. They come inside the package along with the CPU. That Rosewill case I linked looks pretty damn good for the price though. I wouldn't mind getting it myself.

I got to thinking more because I can't seem to enjoy my favorite games anymore. Initially, I never planned on upgrading this machine I have now because of how much it cost to upgrade. Socket 939 is done with and the X2 Toledo is the best I can do. Only $55 so it's not bad. RAM killed my though.

yeah lol. and i wish the link would load for me.

and what do you think about the ram i linked?

The RAM is not bad for the price. I was debating on the Patriot one myself too, but went with G. Skill. Even cheaper, hehe.

That's wierd how you can't load from Newegg. Have you tried using a different browser?

Back
Top Bottom