For those looking to use eVGA motherboards...

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Here's a heads up. A majority of you are looking forward to quad core and have concerns that it may not OC well with certain eVGA motherboards (680i nVidia chipset). Here are the newer motherboards to get:

TR/AR versions are the old models that were sent in for quad core support issues (some sites still selling the "non fixed/checked out" versions)
T1/A1 are the "new" revision

A1/AR (and all other Ax evga products) have lifetime warranty
T1/TR (and all other Tx evga products) have 2yr warranty

Since I can't find the A1 eVGA boards on Newegg, I'm going to suggest the T1 motherboard:

EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188015

That motherboard can OC the Q6600 very well^^^^^^. A1 and T1 revision takes care of severe instability issues and includes the removal of a resistor to even out some voltages I believe. If you have a choice, the T1 version is the one you would want anyways. Browse down to post #6 for motherboard manual!!

======================================================================

After awhile of research, the following combination result in great performance. It's not too much in price for the four key components and this is what I would get if I were to build a PC TODAY!!! For RAM, I may get two more of the same sticks to equal 4GB total.

EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188015

EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130079

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Yeah and according to the reviews, looks like people are enjoying their OC too!!! I know that there was another thread on here by another member inquiring about the eVGA motherboards and problem with Q6600 OC, but I can't find it or can't remember what thread it was in. I just made this one up so if he is still researching or if others are researching as well, it's right here. I threw a little extra in there to show a potential list of core components to go with the motherboard too :p.

Good advice. Even more so for the people who aren't aware of the different models. I remember looking into that before I bought my mobo. I managed to find an A1 version (cant go wrong with that lifetime warranty ;)). It wasn't a huge concern for my though because I was only planning on buying a dual core CPU but at least im safe for a quad core upgrade in the future.

The T1 version is the one that doesn't come with the manual. Both boards actually are the same...just one without a manual.

Okay let me clarify the difference between the A1 and T1 Revisons. The main difference are more included cables and warranty. The A1 is by far a better overall value.

122-CK-NF68-AR will be replaced with 122-CK-NF68-A1
122-CK-NF68-TR will be replaced with 122-CK-NF68-T1

The AR/A1 is the full retail box, includes all cables and brackets and comes with a lifetime warranty upon registration.
The TR/T1 is the light version, does not include all brackets, manual comes on CD, has only the essential cables and comes with a 2 year warranty.

AR/A1 - packing list:
Motherboard
I/O shield
NB fan
SLI bridge
Driver CD
Manual
USB bracket
Firewire bracket
Serial port bracket
6 SATA data cables
3 SATA power cables
IDE data cable
Floppy data cable
RAID floppy driver disk

TR/T1 - packing list:
Motherboard
I/O shield
NB fan
SLI bridge
Driver CD
2 SATA data cables
1 SATA power cable
IDE data cable
Floppy data cable

Also you should add info on the NF63. This is the one your referring to with the defect i've been warning people about for a while now. The 122-CK-NF63-TR is a special part number for 680i SE boards motherboards. The 122-CK-NF63-TR does support Intel quad core CPU's, but is not recommended for overclocking quad core CPU's. For more information please follow this link

As for a quick pic here are the Evga boards pretty much summarized.

680IInfo.jpg

Basically, all the motherboards support the quad core. Just some don't OC that well. So the "LT" must stand for Lite. Hence the stripped down version, but the performance is still there regardless. That part hasn't changed. So basically, it's just what I said above in regards to the A1 and the T1---they're optimized for the Q6600.

The light version is the T1 and the regular version is the A1. Unfortunately, Newegg doesn't have any of the NF68 available.....yet. But that NF67 T1 I linked above still stands as a good overclocker for quad cores though.

For now, just consider the motherboard I linked above or wait until the newer ones come out.

The reason your not finding the A1 revision because its currently out of stock. Last time I looked they had it price hiked like +$40. There charging a premium with the 780I chipsets just around the corner.

Its a personal preference if you want the T1 or A1. To me it would seem logical to spend the extra on the A1 if you don't upgrade as much. That way if you burn it overclocking you can send it back over and over. With the T1 your stuck with junk after 2 years if it breaks.

For those looking at these Evga boards I'd say hold off for the 780I chipsets that support 1600FSB/1333FSB and TRI PCI-E 2.0 slots. IMO the 680I chipset is a waste of money right now.

Its just a bad time to upgrade unless your looking for a value budget system. Consider they just released the 8800GT and the revamped GTS's etc and new ATI cards are comming out soon. Intels new CPU line up is comming. DDR3 is gaining ground, but the 790I is still a few months off for the DDR3 support.

I like what your trying to do but its almost like recommending the 8800GTS over a 8800GT right now. Unless you absolutely need a board right now in which case I'd say buy the T1 revision then buy a 780I when there released.

I haven't seen any of the 700 series chipset yet. But for what's available now, that T1 is the best motherboard to get. I was referring to people that want to upgrade now or for people in the past that had questions about the overclock instability of the Q6600 on certain eVGA motherboards. Even on the older NF67 T1 version, there are no OC issues with quad cores.

Usually when Newegg is out of stock, the product will still be shown but has that "Auto-Notify" feature on the bottom of the price. That's what made me believe that they don't have it yet and will most likely show up in the future.

Back
Top Bottom