Can having too many pics in my pictures folder slow my computer down?

orion1

Beta member
I have about 1,500 pictures. Most are jpeg. But about a quarter are bitmap. Should I thin the herd? I'm using widows XP home.

Access to the specific folder will be slow, (I used to have the same on my music folder when I just dumped thousands of MP3's in a single folder).

access will be especially slow if you have thumbnail view turned on in that folder.

this should not affect the computer speed in general, though it is good housekeeping...

you've nothing to loose, (other than hours of your life) by sorting the pictures into subfolders...

Which in itself can slow you down. I have 14GB of music from several hundred artists that i have been sorting into artist folders and renaming using my naming convention. I have 60+ hours in it already and only half done. Hope you have a lot of time.

I have 45GB of music...needless to say I don't bother trying to sort it out anymore.

If you have a second hard drive or an external drive i would highly suggest putting them on the drive so there's no possible chance of speed problem

Back
Top Bottom