Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD x2 AM2?

SwitchBlade305

Baseband Member
I'm curious what is better for gaming in terms of the value. Lets say the 6000+ or the equivalent of that. I am building a new computer for Crysis, and I pretty much want the best value for my money. Ill be getting at least 2 gigs of ram and an 8 series card. Ive heard great things about the Core2, but is it worth the extra money that will really make my gaming experience really much more impressive? And also would Vista be worth it for DX10? Just DX10 for that matter actually. Does it look better? And will it make the game run better? I want Crysis to look the best it can and if it means getting Vista than I will do that. I just want to enjoy the game when it comes out soon. Some help would be cool =)

Steve ZEErow

if your not OCing, then the AMD's are the better deal. if you plan on OCing, then go with intel

get vista, i love it, and DX10 is just a really good bonus

get the 8800GT if you want bang for buck, by far the best deal out EVER in the history of good graphics card deals :p

Ahh ok thanks for the help... really helps me when someone can give me good positive feedback like yourself :D How will 2 gigs of ram be for Vista and Crysis? Should I get another 1 gig stick? I assume 2 gigs should be good to play Crysis with Vista running in the background of course while minimizing as much background processes as I can just to save more memory for Crysis because I assume the game is taxing on all PC components including the ram. I am also very inexperienced with Vista, but I think I can learn the OS fairly quickly. One more question, should I get the 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Vista? Does one have anything over the other? I hear 64-bit cant use a lot of software as of now and won't for a while. I honestly don't know the difference.. But like I said if one is going to make my Crysis game time more enjoyable I am willing to get either. I plan on getting the OEM version of the Home premium. Help / suggestion's would be amazing =)

get the 32 bit version, the 64 bit version has tons more compatibility issues and what not, and there isnt anything better about it.

also if you can afford it, i would get 3GB of ram, maybe 4, although if you do get 4 and a 32 bit OS, windows will only read something like 3.64GB of it, but dont worry, other programs will be able to use all 4GB

when i ru crysis at 1024x768 which is a very small resolution, i use 94% of my 2GB of ram in vista ultimate, with basically no background programs, so getting 3GB or 4GB may be worthwhile, and DDR2 ram is super cheap.

glad i could help :)

Windows only sees 2.85gigs to 3.25gigs in 32 bit. Not sure what it addresses though to lazy to look.

Not sure what everyones talking about with compatibility issues with the 64bit. Out of all my programs only a few didn't work.

IMO 64bit is the way to go. Its more future proof because in a year or two ram will be so cheap any computer enthusiast is going to have at least 4 gigs.

2gigs for Crysis is pushing it with Vista. I eat through 2 gigs like its nothing.

Go with the core2duo if your serious about overclocking.

Yes DX10 looks much better. The explosions and water effects look much better. Until crysis most DX10 titles played very well. I suspect your not getting alot of DX10 features until you enable very high settings in crysis which basically bring every current system to slideshow framerates.

as much as i love AMD, go with C2D instead, just because of the power.

although you should wait till the phenom comes out in a couple weeks, it'll match if not beat the C2D and C2Q in performance and efficiency

they're expected Q4 2007 and Q1 2008 (Q4's upon us i think)

The Core 2 is deffinatly the way to go on a gamming machine. Because of how crysis is threaded, best performance will come form a quad-core processor. If that is out of your price range, get the E6750.

If I were you I'd get the AMD X2 6000+ simply because they're so cheap and will still play pretty much anything (including Crysis), and the processor isn't the most important thing when playing first person shooter games, the GPU is. And with the money you save from buying the 6000+, you could get an extra 2gigs of memory.

i would recommend the intel core 2 duo E6600 (currently $229 at newegg), vista home premium 64 bit (more future proof, and you should see a performance gain on programs designed for it), and the nvidial 8800gt.

i would recomend neather
id say get the intel core 2 quad its 300 on newegg
also make sure u get a mb with a fsb of 1333 so u can support intels next wave if cpu's

Back
Top Bottom