Veterans Day

maybe you should do some research into the reason of this day. world war 1/2 is a good start but there are other conflicts such as Vietnam would be another good one for you americans. also ask that same question to somebody who has been in a conflict and espeically someone who got called up to fight and had no choice about it and ask them what they went through.

the serious side to it, is helping the veterns (Red Poppies) who have been wounded/injuried servering our country (UK, im talking about here) and that cant serve in the armed forces anymore because of it but yet the follow up support from our government is so little that some of them take thier own lives because they cant keep going on.

My girlfriend turned round to me one day and said people should put World War 2 behind them and forget about it. I said fair enough that you think like that but if you can look my nan and gramp in the eye and ask them to forget about their brothers and friends that they have lost because of it. then i wouldnt be able to look you in the eye for all the shame i would have for you.

Comments like that ISOwner are just ignorant. Theres a whole bigger uglier world out there than your school. these people puts thier lives on the line because they want to make it better for you. altho the iraq war is abit questionable, what with the oil and everything

totally agree..

i have done a remberance parade with the sea cadets every year since i was 12, and will continue to do so for a very long time..

yeah we only had a two minutes silence at 11am today at work

We had about 1 min of silence at school during the assembly. We can't even have 1 second of silence at work (fast food).

I do try to stop and remember the veterans, but I find myself always busy doing something. I really don't remember them as I should. Probably because I haven't had to go through losing or just having a family member in the war. Both of my grandpa's were in WW2 doing something or another. The most I really know is that one was in medical, one was in the Navy...

My mother is a volunteer over our Vet's hospitals, and on that day, she went. They didn't do what schools did...they partied lol! Chips, soft drinks....even beer!

My mother is a volunteer over our Vet's hospitals, and on that day, she went. They didn't do what schools did...they partied lol! Chips, soft drinks....even beer!

that sounds well good. id love to get drunk with a load of war veterans and listen to what stories they have. i meet a veteran of market garden WW2 in the airbourne musuem in nijmegen. he had some little stories that he was telling me but all the way through it he kept saying all war was bad. i mean literally every 3-5 mins he would mention it. interesting bloke tho. he was British airborne and was on his way to Arnhem but got shot down over nijmegen and had to fight with the 101st airborne. said he was one of the lucky ones as pretty much all the poeple he knew was either captured or killed in Arnhem.

I think it's a very important day, granted not alot of my family served in the armed forces (I come from a small family) but when I was a kid I spent alot of time talking to the older men and women hearing their stories and experiences and I have alot of respect for veterans young and old. They told me why, they joined...not for the money, not for the glory or for stories to tell but because they loved their country and what it stood for and were even willing to die for it.

To me, Veterans Day goes farther than remembering which war veterans fought in, what unit they were in, or even what the war was about...I see it more as honoring the ideal our veterans from the War of Independence to the War on Terror held in such high regard...freedom, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for their fellow countrymen. It takes a serious commitment to join the armed forces, years of a persons life, I think it takes some serious balls to stand up for something...it' easy to talk, but when it comes down to it the people who join the military for the ideals our country stand for, they do it so others don't have to...they give the millions who don't serve the same freedoms they pay for with sweat, blood and tears to enjoy, ours we take for granted but they fight and die for them. I think they are hero's.

So I'm honored to shake the hand of any veteran;)

Back
Top Bottom